Using iphone in my car

Pink

I'm trying to use my iphone in a mini cooper.

I can listen to itunes no problem. But it's the phone part that I can't seem to work.

There's a phone button on my dash, when my phone rings it rings through the speakers in the car, I can hear the person on the other end of the phone though the car speakers, but they cannot hear me.

I am using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to connect iphone with car.

Anyone know how or if I can fix this?

Thanks

Is there a USB connection in the car if yes bring your usb connector for the pc. This has the advantage of charging the phone too.

What about bluetooth I know a lot of BMW's have Bluetooth.

You need to pair the phone with the car.

I did this twice on a 5 series for my boss, a little fidley but got there in the end.

If not look at getting a parrott car kit.

you say that when the phone rings, it rings through the speakers in the car.

Is that only when the 3.5mm jack is connecting the phone to the stereo?

If it is, your stereo is just a large loudspeaker for the iphone, just like when you use the ipod function.

Activate the bluetooth in the phone to see if the car has a bluetooth connection.

The mini steering wheel has all the buttons for the inbuilt bluetooth but it costs a fortune to have it installed in the factory so the internal wiring may not be present.

Where is your microphone ? Is it in the 3.5mm jack or are you just trying to use the one at the base of the handset and if so are selecting loadspeaker on the phone ?

Its only an iPod connector not a car kit! Your iPhone is only acting as an iPod - so there's no mic or phone interfacing with the cars stereo. If the car has Bluetooth fitted as per Frank then this is the car kit connectivity but the AUX is only for your music.

Hi ,
thanks for all the replies. No the car doesn't have bluetooth by the looks of things, I did a search and nothing was picked up. It doesn't have a USB either. Only has the Aux in.
When the phone rings and I press the "phone" button (on the dash) it answers the call... That's why I presumed it had some sort of phone kit installed. I bought the car second hand so I wasn't 100% sure if it was in it or not.

www.dealextreme.com is your friend for all things iphone. Ive chargers, docks, protective sleeves, car kits, microphones in my car and home for a fraction of the price in high street stores.

Back