Using credit card overseas - frontload card to avoid charges

thejuggler

I have a BOI Visa and Mastercard (combined on one account) and will be travelling to the USA next month and plan to use it for most of my purchases while there.
Is there anyway to avoid the outside the eurozone/cross border fees imposed by Visa/Mastercard?
Is it true that if you 'frontload' the card with cash before your trip and only make purchases within this amount that the fees will not be charged as you are effectively spending your own money and not using credit as such?

With regard to the 'frontloading', the biggest problem would be if your card got stolen since the bank will not refund any of the frontload monies. I have used my Visa card in new york and then transfer money each time a transaction hits . God bless internet banking.
Its very important to advise your bank that you will be using your card abroad as any unusual activity may cause it to be red-flagged and shut down.

The only advantage to frontloading your card is the avoidance of cash advance fees, if monies are withdrawn from an ATM/Bank banch, and unfortunatly for you, AIB is the only Irish Issuer to offer this service.

There is no way to avoid the eurozone/cross border fees imposed by Visa/Mastercard?

I have BOI Gold Advantage Mastercard and if I frontload I do not pay cash advance fees. Cross border handling fee of 1.75% is charged regardless of whether the account is in credit or debit.

Back