using a mortgage broker

bobo

If we sign up for a mortgage through a broker and in the future we want to up our repayments or throw a lump sum off the mortgage in order to reduce the term and interest do we have to discuss and arrange this through the broker or do we go direct to our lender (AIB). i.e. will we have direct contact with AIB or are we shielded from them by going through a broker.

No I won't want to have any contact with the broker once she has done her job. When the mortgage is drawn down I want to be able to contact AIB directly to discuss ability to increase payments etc - is this possible??? Is it normal for the relationship between the broker and the client to cease after mortgage has been setup and drawn down???

Yes the relationship ceases after draw down. In fact I don't think the broker would be interested in liaising with the bank for you, there's nothing in it for her!

I don't see why not. Say for example you were dealing with a bank branch in Dublin to buy a new family home in Kerry The bank w/couldn't expect you to go back to the Dublin branch every time you wanted to amend your mortgage.

Should you need a top up etc within a short period and are concerned that the same broker will need to be involved, you can always speak to the lender directly and state that you do not want to use the same broker.

The lender will be far more interested in retaining your business.

Bobo

the choice is entirely yours, all your communication for your mortgage will now come directly from AIB, so you can liase directly with them

DeirdreL

www.rea.ie

PM1234, I'm not even going to try to quote your text as when I try, I lose everything I've typed!

I assumed the OP meant an independent broker, not one attached to a particular bank.

Back