US Immigration in Dublin

bigchicken

Hi,

I was wondering if someone might be able to advise as to whether I can clear US immigration in Dublin, i'm getting conflicting information on the Aer Lingus website.

In the FAQs here it says that all flights before 4pm clear in Dublin:
http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/traveladvice/ustravelnotice/#d.en.1513

However here it says that only certain flights do:
http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/movetoterminal2atdublin/usimmigration/

My flight is at 11am but isn't one of those listed above. I want to make sure i leave enough time at the airport.

For direct flights from Ireland you will clear Immigration in Dublin/ Shannon. 2.5.- 3 hours would be suffecient time to complete required documents and clear security. You will also need to register with SEVIS before you leave which you can do through the AerLingus website.
Enjoy the trip...

For direct flights from Ireland you will clear Immigration in Dublin/ Shannon.
No - not all flights pre-clear. As the OP has posted, only some flights do. In reference to the original Q, I think the 4pm advice is old advice - I recently (within the past month) got an email from Aer Lingus seeking to clarify which flights do and don't pre-clear - and it was the flight list and not a time cutoff that was in the email. So if your flight is not listed as clearing then it's very unlikely it does I'm afraid. Is it on the non-clearing list or is it just not listed at all?

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Orka - thanks for the update, i was afraid that was the case.
The list on the website is the flights that do clear in Dublin. Mine (EI139) isn't listed so i'm assuming that means it doesn't.

Any idea how long it takes in Boston?

It depends on how many international flights arrive at the same time as yours and where they come from. I have often spent 2 hours waiting to clear immigration in places like New York and San Francisco.

Correct, the EI139 does not clear immigration in Dublin. I've flown on it twice recently, and both times there was about 30-40 mins queuing time in Boston - both times I was pretty near the door and was one of the first from the flight to get there though. But it all depends on what other flights are waiting there.

They shouldn't. Not if they have nothing to hide, they are honest with US Customs and Immigration officials, and all their paperwork is in order. Granted the cops with guns on hips, the finger print checks, the questioning, and the eyeball biometrics thingy etc etc is on a whole other level of intensity than what you have to face when entering Immigration in Ireland. But EVERYONE has to do go thru it, even US citizens and Green Card holders. So people shouldn't take it personally or feel put off by it. America is a country at war. Ireland is not.

On the clearing Immigration in Dublin point, I have flown to the US four times in the last year. Twice we cleared Immigration in the US, twice we did it in Dublin. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, especially when the Aer Lingus flight is a code share one with American Airlines.

If the OP has a flight departing at 11am, I'd advise him to be at the airport no later than 8.30am. Whether he clears Immigration in Dublin or not, Aer Lingus will be checking in 2 New York flights, a Boston flight and a Chicago flight at the same time, with one line for all US departures. There will probably only be 3 or 4 check in desks open for all those people. The line to check in is the one I'd be more worried about time wise.

Time...........Immigration ....Security...not alot of difference and one would know this if one were a frequent traveller...have spoken to many Irish people who have been processed by US Immigration Officials... they have felt intimidated by the intensity of the procedure.....
I travel often enough to know there is a world of difference between rent a cop security and US immigration officials.

Thanks for all the info. Was planning on heading to the airport for around 8 anyway just to be sure!

Back