US Bank Account for non resident

weston68

Here is my problem........ I inherited two shares in a US company. They pay a quarterly dividend by cheque of 45 US cent. My bank charges commission on dollar conversion so I cannot economically lodge the cheques. Computershare will lodge the dividend direct to my Irish current account but again the cost means it is not worth it.

What's my question - as a non US resident, can I open an account with a US bank and get the dividends lodged there?

I would let the dividends build up and then transfer back to my Irish account or donate to a charity in the US.

I'm going to the states in October so I can present myself at a branch with any documentation required to open the account. I've read loads online about opening a US account but it is quite conflicting (especially following new regulations post 9/11 like the patriot act etc).

Has anyone managed to do this recently and (a) what bank did they use and (b) what documentation did they need to open the account?

I don't believe it's possible. US banks won't allow you to open a bank account unless you're a permanent resident or a citizen.

Back