Uploading current iTunes library to new iPod

rory22

Hi folks,
I have a classic iPod and iTunes account and need to buy a smaller version (nano or similar) for use while running (the classic is a little too big).
Can i simply buy a new, smaller iPod - plug it into my pc and upload my current library to it or is it more complicated than that with rights issues etc.
Cheers.

I think you can register up to 5 ipods for drm protected songs, so as long as you are within that you should be ok.

Hi folks,
I have a classic iPod and iTunes account and need to buy a smaller version (nano or similar) for use while running (the classic is a little too big).
Can i simply buy a new, smaller iPod - plug it into my pc and upload my current library to it or is it more complicated than that with rights issues etc.
Cheers.

Nope that's it. You can have as many iPods as you wish using the same library.

Just plug in. However, if you've the classic, I presume you've a large enough library, so it's better to go for the manual syncing rather than an automatic with the smaller ipods. Or you can set it to sync from a playlist.

Thanks for the replies, that's good to know.
On a separate issue – can somebody tell me what the situation is with regards to transferring one's iTunes library onto another brand of MP3 (non-apple)?

Thanks for the replies, that's good to know.
On a separate issue – can somebody tell me what the situation is with regards to transferring one's iTunes library onto another brand of MP3 (non-apple)?

If it's a drag and drop (as in just select the songs, drag them to the icon and drop them in), there's no problem at all. Some caveats to that though, first, DRM from songs bought from Itunes Store won't transfer and some won't play all formats.

I must say, I got the Sansa clip 8gb for activities and it is superb. Very cheap for 8gb too and it's just drag and drop. Great for audiobooks too as automatically bookmarks mp3s. No relationship to the chaps at Sansa, just a brilliant little MP3 player.

Back