UPC upping prices

Another number for UPC that takes you directly through to their loyalty team is 061 272190.

Not a great incentive. Did UPC offer a lower price?

I decided to ring the customer loyalty number this afternoon and I got a nice lady on the phone.
I said I wasnt happy at only joining UPC last month and now being hit with a price increase of 7 euro a month.I said that I was told by the original sales agent that my price would be fixed for the 12 months and I wouldnt get any price increases.
After a bit of talking on the phone she offered me 120mb broadband with free anytime local,national and worldwide calls for 30 euro a month.

I was currently on 60mb broadband and free offpeak calls only for 37 euro a month,so Im happy with this new better deal now.

I just tested my BB speeds and it seems that Im only getting 93mb bb and not the full 120mb bb.But I cant complain after the disaster of a time I had with Eircom.

Download Speed: 93509 kbps (11688.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 12015 kbps (1501.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

One little catch though..................................
If I were to leave UPC before the 12 months is up then I would be hit with a 200 euro cancelation fee.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the email from UPC. I am not currently tied into any contract (the one they sprang on me implicitly when I bought the Horizon box expired in November). If I don't phone them to decline the latest "offer" am I implicitly accepting a new 12-month contract, or do I remain contract free?

The increase is only €1.99, but I want to remain contract free because I intend to ditch their TV service.
AFAIK you ARE linked into a contract UNLESS you decline it within 30 days of the notice. In the letter I rec.d it stated:

"We really hope you want to continue enjoying all the great value entertainment you get from us. But if you wish you can downgrade or cancel your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without any penalty or cancellation fee.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued custom and for selecting UPC."

I just tested my BB speeds and it seems that Im only getting 93mb bb and not the full 120mb bb.

120Mb is the maximum theoretical limit the line can handle, it's very rare conditions will allow you to reach that.

AFAIK you ARE linked into a contract UNLESS you decline it within 30 days of the notice.

If you are currently within a contract period, that same period still applies. If you're out of contract, that will remain the case. Not declining this amendment does not tie you into a new contract period.

120Mb is the maximum theoretical limit the line can handle, it's very rare conditions will allow you to reach that.
I don't think that's true on UPC, where they now can offer 240 Mbps, and could probably double that again if they wanted. When I do a speed test I get 120 Mbps pretty much without fail.

I don't think that's true on UPC, where they now can offer 240 Mbps, and could probably double that again if they wanted. When I do a speed test I get 120 Mbps pretty much without fail.

What I meant was that when you sign up to a package offering X Mb, the X is the maximum you're going to see. You may get it, but in the majority of cases you won't. Cable can support up to about 400 Mb/s, but you're not getting that any time soon.

I have the full horizon package (phone, broadband and TV) + BT sport costing me €112 per month. Contacted them tonight and registered for my UPC. If I cancel my phone part of the package it'll save me €10 per month + registering for my UPC will save another €3.50. That should cancel out the rises. However the rep I was chatting to online said I should contact their customer care team once I get the email on the actual rises to see if there are any other deals available

Well all I know is that Im a happy camper,so too is my wife and our daughter with the 120mb bb and free phone call package.So if they are happy then Im happy.:D

Just a quick heads up here with regards to Eircom and any members here who are with Eircom at the moment.

Eircom are ramping up their prices from April 15th this year.New customers and also customers with existing contracts will be hit for the new increased charges.

Broadband bundles are going up by 5 euro a month.

Certain phone call rate packages will be increased too.

And from June Eircom will remove SMS text alerts from all Eircom land lines,this will affect people with Eircom landlines connected to their alarm systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back