UPC Horizon. Can't connect. UPC and Apt Mgmt Co blame each other

gearoid

Hi,
I have just signed up for UPC Horizon. I got a UPC 1001 error on connecting. No signal.

I called UPC. UPC tested. They can't connect to the UPC router box. They send an engineer. The engineer says the wiring is a problem in apartment.

The Management Co gets an engineer who says he tested signal back to the exchange, and that there's no wiring issue.

I am stuck with UPC charging 30 euro a month and with no TV/Internet/Phone.

Management co. will charge 80 euro for engineer call out and blame UPC.

UPC will probably say it's not their problem and will likely charge.

Has anyone any advice how I proceed?

Thanks,
gearoid

Cancel it all and go wireless for €30 including free wireless router with Tescomobile (for example)

The problem appears to be that the signal might be too weak for UPC Horizon but enough for landlord to say all is OK.

I already have mobile broadband but it is very unstable. Cue, other half hanging out window to check signal.

From a contract point of view I've signed off for the 18 month deal.
Can you cancel if I've already signed up, but I can't get the service? If I call either engineer now they will charge.

Is there a possibility of calling an independent electrician to verify which side is at fault?

The mgmt company know the fix if it's their issue could be expensive, and need re-wiring, so it's in their interest to say it's not their problem.

Leo is right however. It doesn't solve the TV issue.

Thanks for the help... I'm not very well up on the cable issue, so don't know what's normally done to resolve something like this.

Yeah, this is a complicated one in such complexes. UPC will be responsible for the connection up to the point where it hits the infrastructure owned by the management company. From that point to within your unit, the management company are responsible for the infrastructure.

When the management company tested, where and how did they test?

As a simple check you can do yourself, unscrew the faceplate of the connection point and check the connections at the back. You'd be surprised how many issues are just down to shoddy connection work.

Are any of your neighbours on Horizon?

Yeah, this is a complicated one in such complexes. UPC will be responsible for the connection up to the point where it hits the infrastructure owned by the management company. From that point to within your unit, the management company are responsible for the infrastructure.

When the management company tested, where and how did they test?

As a simple check you can do yourself, unscrew the faceplate of the connection point and check the connections at the back. You'd be surprised how many issues are just down to shoddy connection work.

Are any of your neighbours on Horizon?
Well lots of people on UPC but not sure if it is Horizon.

I am afraid I was in work and I allowed them to let themselves in. To paraphrase the mgmt co. guy.

"Electrician has checked the line from the apartment to the exchange.
The line is ok back to the exchange but there’s no signal from UPC at all."

It meant very little to me to be honest.

There were two points in the apartment that split somewhere within management company territory between my apartment and a box outside at a service box beside the lifts. Both points in the apartment are pretty much dead (but with very limited signal) according to UPC and they suggested based upon this that the wire it is "damaged" in the management company area, but that was flatly contradicted by the mgmt co. who said they could test back to the exchange somehow... and that all was tickety boo , and those UPC chaps don't know what they're on about.

Back