Unpaid Nurse's Aid internship

nave

Hi folks

An acquaintance of mine is aiming to study medicine in her native city in Germany. In order to qualify for a university course, she must supplement her exam grades with three months hospital experience. She has already completed two months as a Nurse's Aid in a German hospital, and now needs to complete the final third. The experience can be gained abroad. She has been here to Dublin and is extremely fond of the city.

Can you tell me what's is the best approach she should use to try complete this month at a Dublin hospital? Would a letter to hospital's HR departments be the best avenue? Or perhaps directly to a head nurse? Might it be a case of "who you know"?. She is making her enquiries (written) from Germany, which doesn't help but is unavoidable. She would be looking to do the month around midsummer. I'd imagine there is an amount of red tape and procedure to be followed, but as I said, she is willing to peform the duties unpaid.

As an aside, I've just read that 1000 nurses are due to leave the system before the end of February due to pension changes. On the face of it, this would sound like an ideal opportunity for someone to come in and offer to work free of charge, but of course I'm sure it's more complicated than that.

Any tips or guidance would be much appreciated.

Cheers

It might not be worth the hassle for your friend to do just one months work experience here. She would have to get Garda clearance if she is to work directly with patients. She would probably be best advised to contact the Director of Nursing of the hospital she wishes to work in and she what the advise.

Back