Unpaid maternity benefit

Samantha

My paid maternity leave is over on O5th October, I have told my boss that I will take 4 weeks unpaid leave and 4 weeks holidays. Back to work on 03rd december. The payroll person has just contacted me to tell me that he is going to pay my holidays before my unpaid leave which I don't agree, it should be the other way around.

Can someone confirm to me if I am correct or not

Thanks

Samantha

Why does it matter? Can you not just stick the money in the bank and earn a bit of interest on it?

Would not be consider a break on maternity leave if my holidays came between the paid and unpaid leave? It was the case in my previous job, we could not have the holidays before taken the unpaid leave

I still don't understand what you feel would be the implications of this. Maybe you can clarify. And also clarify the title of the thread - i.e. what has this got to do with Maternity Benefit (SW payment)? Are you worried that this arrangement might impact you MB claim or something?

Afaik, additional unpaid maternity leave must be taken directly after maternity leave has ended. Holiday leave cannot be taken between maternity the the additional unpaid leave.

(If I can find a link to the legislation, I'll put it on)

Lorraine B

I would have thought it normal to take the unpaid leave immediately after the paid leave and then the holidays. Are your employers giving any specific reason for wanting to do it the other way around?

He took me ages to get through the maternity benefit department but I manage. They told me that the unpaid maternity leave must start immediately after the paid maternity leave and on my return to work I need to fill up the form regarding the prsi credit. If my employer pay my holidays after my paid maternity leave, the 16 weeks unpaid would not be considered as unpaid maternity leave because of the rupture but as unpaid leave therefore I would not be entitled to the prsi credit.

At least now you can go back to your employer armed with that information. Good luck.

Back