Uncontactable landlord and broken major appliance

@oldnick
You seem to be missing the point of the total lack of manners in not even acknowledging calls/texts for any update on the situation.

Mind you, my properties also have microwaves. Evidently OP's does not, or else surely he would not be quite so annoyed about not using the cooker for a few days.
We do have a microwave, which I purchased from my own pocket.

Yes, annoying, but after two years of no complaint from either side, the LL is now a "cowboy" and OP is foaming at the mouth.
and
OP is getting too agitated over this. He states that in two years he has had no complaint, has not had reason to contact the LL and the LL has not bothered him. Great!
In two years we have had no complaint as we have not required any input or repairs from him. "Cowboy" referred to putting a fake address on the lease, I dont know what other term would be appropriate here?
I give everyone three different phone numbers for my own tradesmen who know to go round asap. And I tell tenants if there is no immediate response from me or those guys then they can use their own contacts or use Golden Pgses and buy/pay for anything that needs replacing and deduct it from the rent, with no arguments from me.
Thats great, and yuo sound like an excellent LL, but you cant seriously suggest that paying money to buy/fix a major item like this is a good idea based on the circumstances (wrong address, wont answer phone etc).

Are you a registered tenant at this address.? You say you give your rent to your flat mate who makes a single payment to LL. Just wondered if this may be a reason for not communicating with you, or is it the flat-mate who should be dealing with this

I cant remember if I updated my rent relief form to this address or not.

Possibly re: other flatmate, thats a good point, though as I said they are more blaise about it, and dont seem to think its a major problem e.g. "Its only been a few days"......which will only lead into it being a few weeks IMO.

You seem to be missing the point of the total lack of manners in not even acknowledging calls/texts for any update on the situation.

I dont think anyone is disagreeing that its bad form of the landlord, but your main issue is that you have a broken cooker, the landlord being difficult/rude etc is a side issue to this that has come to light as a result of the broken cooker.

"Cowboy" referred to putting a fake address on the lease, I dont know what other term would be appropriate here?

Perhaps, mistake? Perhaps he meant to write 21. Who knows, but it seems like a strong conclusion to jump to that he is a cowboy.

Thats great, and yuo sound like an excellent LL, but you cant seriously suggest that paying money to buy/fix a major item like this is a good idea based on the circumstances (wrong address, wont answer phone etc).

I think its a fantastic idea based on the circumstances. Your alternative is to live with no cooker and be at the mercy of the landlords timing. Whereas if you sort out the repair/replace and withold it from rent you (a) have your cooker issue sorted, (b) have the landlords attention - Ill bet he will be quick to provide better contact details if he thinks too much money has been spent on repair and he could have had it done cheaper.

Im just not too clear on what you hope to achieve by just complaining about it and hoping the landlord contacts you. How is that going to solve your problem - dont get me wrong, you have plenty of grounds to be complaining about him, but its not going to resolve your issue.

Send a text stating that if it hasn't been repaired within the week, you will organise the repairs yourself and deduct the costs from the rent.

Looks like that is the best solution proposed here alright, which we'll probably end up doing.

Just seems like we're paying him enough much rent to have to sort this ourselves is what mainly bugging me.

Can you get the tenant whose name is on the lease to text him as Seagull states. Store the text and previous calls and texts. Call the repair man having the name and model of the cooker and what you think is wrong. Get a receipt. Text Landlord the amount you are deducting from the rent as per receipt. End of story. Keep a record/photocopy of your receipt in case he tries to stop it out of your Deposit. End of story. I am a landlord but I cannot abide bad landlords or bad tenants. You look after decent people and it is a two way street. Best of Luck

Just seems like we're paying him enough much rent to have to sort this ourselves is what mainly bugging me.
Have you tried removing the chip from the offending shoulder ?

Have you tried removing the chip from the offending shoulder ?

Another helpful post elcato. Between abusive bus drivers and uncontactable landlords you seem to have a fairly lax attitude to what constitutes acceptable behaviour.

If the landlord was to arrange a repair guy, then they would have to be put in contact with you anyway because they will need access to the property to carry out the repair, and I presume that you would like to be present while a stranger is in your apt? So, organise a repair guy to come and fix your cooker. You are an adult, so do the adult thing and organise it now yourself. The beauty of renting is that the repairs won't actually cost you anything (as you will deduct from rent), but it doesn't mean that you have everything done for you.

I feel guilty having cooked meals until i know what happened in the faulty cooker saga.
What news?

In two years we have had no complaint as we have not required any input or repairs from him. "Cowboy" referred to putting a fake address on the lease, I dont know what other term would be appropriate here?

Imagine two years of no bother and suddenly one incident and you are now calling the landlord a cowboy?

I think Elcato summed it up quite well -a bit of a hissy fit over something that the OP could have sorted out himself relatively easily. Still no excuse for LLs' delay.

Ive lived in my current rental accomodation for two years now without ever seeing or talking to landlord. I live with two guys and one has a standing order
for the rent, and we pay him, he pays LL i.e. single point of rent to landlord. I dont mind not seeing/hearing from LL, I/we dont need anything really.

However, a major applicance has now stopped working and we need it fixed. Ive tried texting (no response), calling (no answer), and leaving voicemail (no callback). Ive had a look at the lease and his address is listed on it.....but I dont know if he still lives there.

What do people think I/we should do? Should I call over and demand he fix it? Should I write a letter to him demanding same? Should I stop paying rent until he does, and then deduct a large chunk from the rent to cover the inconvenience? If doing that should I leave a voicemaill indicating same? Any other ideas?

thanks
Under section 12(1)(f) of the RTA 2004, a landlord is obliged to provide particulars of the means by which the tenant could at all reasonable times contact him.

A landlord is under an obligation to repair or replace any faulty appliance within a reasonable time (normally considered to be 14 days). This is especially so where it is an appliance which is required by law to be included in rented property under the Housing standards for rented property.

If a tenant withholds payment of rent where a landlord is in breach of his obligations, the tenant also breaches his obligations. If the tenant or landlord then makes a claim with the PRTB, this will be held against the tenant and the tenant is liable to lose all or a substantial part of any damages awarded.

If a landlord is not remedying a fault for which he is responsible, the tenant should advise the landlord in writing that he will have repairs effected, having received at least two (preferably three) estimates for the repair and selected the lowest. Only under these circumstances may the tenant withhold rent equivalent to the invoice value of the repair.

All and any contact with a landlord by phone / text should be followed up immediately by a dated written notice (keep a copy in case of a claim with the PRTB) of the issue discussed.

There have been numerous claims against landlords for failure to maintain properties as required, not only structure but also equipment supplied, in which tenants have received damages for the landlord's breach of obligations.

Facetious..
I'm interested in your source about the tenant having to get three quotes- and only after getting three and choosing the cheapest is the tenant allowed to deduct expenses from the rent.
Furthermore the tenant can only do this after the LL has done nothing within fourteen days.

Also - if the tenant withholds rent when the LL has breached his obligations then the tenant is also breaching his obligation. What? A tenant is obliged to continue paying rent even if the apartment is uninhabitable due to LL's breach of obligations?

So, next time something goes wrong with an appliance I can tell the tenants it may take two weeks to replace or repair -and only after that they can get three quotes before deducting rent.
Sounds great if I was a wicked LL.

Facetious I am in no way defending the behaviour of the Landlord in this case I think that there was a practical solution to all of this as I stated before. I was talking recently to a couple of tenants of Longford Co Co and if you were to apply the same rules that you have quoted to Longford Co Co there would need to be a separate Quango as big as PRTB to deal with all the tenant problems in relation to repairs/renewals in that county alone.

Facetious..
I'm interested in your source about the tenant having to get three quotes- and only after getting three and choosing the cheapest is the tenant allowed to deduct expenses from the rent.
Furthermore the tenant can only do this after the LL has done nothing within fourteen days.
Where the landlord has been notified in writing of a breach of his obligations and has failed to remedy that breach within a reasonable time, a tenant is entitled to vacate the property (whether fixed term lease or a Part 4) and a notice of termination giving 28 days to vacate the property, may be given by the tenant.

Alternatively, a tenant wishing to remain in the property, may organise repairs himself. However, the landlord is only liable for the "reasonable costs". It is not a legal requirement, but, for the avoidance of any doubt, it is best for a tenant to get at least two (preferably three) quotes for the work/repairs to be carried out, and to select the lowest/cheapest and advise the landlord beforehand, that the cost will be deducted from the rent.

You can read PRTB determinations where the tenant has not been allowed the full cost of repairs/replacement where the landlord has had evidence that the cost was unreasonable.

Furthermore, a tenant could get a "mate" to do some repairs for which the landlord is liable and "up" the price and just issue a receipt/invoice for an inflated value.

Also - if the tenant withholds rent when the LL has breached his obligations then the tenant is also breaching his obligation. What? A tenant is obliged to continue paying rent even if the apartment is uninhabitable due to LL's breach of obligations?
Where a tenant has withheld the payment of rent (i.e. not paying the rent "as it falls due") the tenant is in breach of the tenants obligations. There are many PRTB determinations where a tenant, in trying to get a landlord to effect a landlord's breach of obligations, has withheld rent. However, had the tenant not withheld the rent, he would have been awarded damages in respect of the landlord's breach. Two wrongs don't make a right.

As regards your scenario that if the "apartment is uninhabitable", surely a tenant would issue a Notice of Termination and vacate the property. In the case where a property "suddenly" becomes uninhabitable, it would not be reasonable to expect a tenant to pay rent and no PRTB determination would award damages against the tenant in such a case. A bit of locic must be applied.

So, next time something goes wrong with an appliance I can tell the tenants it may take two weeks to replace or repair -and only after that they can get three quotes before deducting rent.
Sounds great if I was a wicked LL.
A landlord is under an obligation to have repairs effected "within a reasonable time". A good landlord would not wait for the reasonable time to pass before remedying a problem. Different problems can take different amounts of time to rectify. Some problems are obviously more urgent than others. Hence, the law states "a reasonable time" and not a number of days. Would you leave the repair of a burst/leaking pipe for 14 days before commencing repairs? Other cases may require obtaining special parts which may not be immediately available.

Where a cooker is not broken, as is the case with the OP, a landlord should at least respond within 48 hours to a verbal complaint by the tenant - who should always follow up any verbal communication with a formal written complaint. This not only safeguards the tenant in his obligations to notify the landlord of an issue within the property, but can also act as evidence as to when the issue first occurred. This evidence may be vital should a claim be made by the tenant for the landlord's breach of obligations.

You, yourself, may not be a wicked landlord - but there are quite a few out there who do not know their obligations or hope that the tenant does not know the law.

Facetious I am in no way defending the behaviour of the Landlord in this case I think that there was a practical solution to all of this as I stated before. I was talking recently to a couple of tenants of Longford Co Co and if you were to apply the same rules that you have quoted to Longford Co Co there would need to be a separate Quango as big as PRTB to deal with all the tenant problems in relation to repairs/renewals in that county alone.

A dwelling let by or to a public body is exempt from the RTA 2004. I am sure that the Longford Co Co consider themselves a public body.

And talking of Longford, I lived there until several weeks ago and I am very glad to have left Longford for another county!!

A dwelling let by or to a public body is exempt from the RTA 2004. I am sure that the Longford Co Co consider themselves a public body.

That is the very point that I am making that the same rules and standards should apply across the board for private and public bodies.

Back