Uncontactable landlord and broken major appliance

A dwelling let by or to a public body is exempt from the RTA 2004. I am sure that the Longford Co Co consider themselves a public body.

That is the very point that I am making that the same rules and standards should apply across the board for private and public bodies.
Sorry, I missed your point.

Like any government bodies, they are a law unto themselves in any case, so why make laws for them - even if we commoners have to obey.

I feel guilty having cooked meals until i know what happened in the faulty cooker saga.
What news?

Glad you asked........ive been sunning myself in the Balearics for the last week, leaving the situation in the capable hands of the other two tenants and the landlord. Nothing has been done in the interim.

You want something done, yada yada yada yourself it seems.

Im sure those of you on tender hooks about this will be happy to hear that I got electrician out and its now sorted. Loose live wire behind the switch on the wall.

I paid it and will be deducting it from the rent, plus a handling fee for the hassle involved and time taken.

Thanks for all the constructive advice, not the rest, you know who you are.

Im sure those of you on tender hooks about this will be happy to hear that I got electrician out and its now sorted. Loose live wire behind the switch on the wall.

I paid it and will be deducting it from the rent, plus a handling fee for the hassle involved and time taken.

Thanks for all the constructive advice, not the rest, you know who you are.

Handling Fee is rather dodgy in my mind. But you seem only to want to hear what you want to hear, so probably pointless in posting this.

Would you not share the cost with the other tenants (ie, you all deduct some from your rent?).

I dont really know why youre charging a handling fee, how much hassle was involved in phoning an electrician? Plus it only went on so long because you refused to resolve it sooner!

I have to say, I wouldnt be staying in this place if I were you, the other tenants dont seem to care about a basic standard of living and the landlord is willing to leave you without a way to cook so why stay?

Get the appliance fixed, and then deduct it from the rent, sending him a registered letter explaining what you've done, with the receipt.

I am with Chrisboy on this. You are there two years so must be fairly happy, some landlords tend to operate on a who shouts loudest basis. He should have no issue if you are reasonable as suggested above.

Would you not share the cost with the other tenants (ie, you all deduct some from your rent?).

We have shared the cost obviously.

I have to say, I wouldnt be staying in this place if I were you, the other tenants dont seem to care about a basic standard of living and the landlord is willing to leave you without a way to cook so why stay?

Point taken, I am looking at other places at the moment.

I dont really know why youre charging a handling fee, how much hassle was involved in phoning an electrician? Plus it only went on so long because you refused to resolve it sooner!

Handling Fee is rather dodgy in my mind. But you seem only to want to hear what you want to hear, so probably pointless in posting this.

I dont think its entirely fair to say that im only hearing what I want to hear, I took advice on here and got it fixed myself. Re: handling fee, I just dont think its fair that he gets away scot free ignoring us and washing his hands of any responsibility on the house.

I am with Chrisboy on this. You are there two years so must be fairly happy, some landlords tend to operate on a who shouts loudest basis. He should have no issue if you are reasonable as suggested above.

See previous post about LL giving (by accident/or purpose) incorrect and non-existant address on lease

Re: handling fee, I just dont think its fair that he gets away scot free ignoring us and washing his hands of any responsibility on the house.

How does he get away scot free if you move as a result of this? He will be down a tenant and that will hit him in the pocket.

That may not be immediately. Until im gone (may be few months) he will get away scot free, and it will be up to people left (I assume) to rent the room as they leased the whole house.

That may not be immediately. Until im gone (may be few months) he will get away scot free, and it will be up to people left (I assume) to rent the room as they leased the whole house.

If they sublet to you, is this why the landlord did not jump to repair the cooker? Presumably the landlord wont deal with a non leaseholder? Does the landlord know about the sublet?

You seem to have a strong desire to punish the landlord for not being a good landlord. I dont really understand this, if I dont like how my landlord does business, I move. Life is too short to be trying to punish someone who didnt get your cooker fixed quick enough.

Yeah he knows one guy moved out two years ago and I moved in. We got a new lease and there is only one name of the three on the it. I wouldnt really call it subletting, unless my understanding of the term is wrong.

We all pay the same rent, who he deals with (IMO) shouldnt matter. Me simply moving (again IMO) seems a cop-out that allows his poor behaviour to permeate to anyone else who moves in. Also, the apartment is handy and nice so immediately moving out wasnt wouldnt be my first choice.

Yeah he knows one guy moved out two years ago and I moved in. We got a new lease and there is only one name of the three on the it. I wouldnt really call it subletting, unless my understanding of the term is wrong.

We all pay the same rent, who he deals with (IMO) shouldnt matter. Me simply moving (again IMO) seems a cop-out that allows his poor behaviour to permeate to anyone else who moves in. Also, the apartment is handy and nice so immediately moving out wasnt wouldnt be my first choice.

He isn't getting away scot free, he is paying for the repair of the appliance in the nice handy apartment that you are renting. I would be deducting your handling charge from your deposit if I was your landlord.

Me simply moving (again IMO) seems a cop-out that allows his poor behaviour to permeate to anyone else who moves in.

While I understand this I disagree with it, because you are trying to make him be a better landlord, and IMO, you cant control another persons behaviour. If I dont like how someone does business, I take my business elsewhere, I really wouldnt be bothered trying to make the first person behave to my standards.

Each to their own, but you are just making a rod for your own back by trying to punish him with the handling fee - IMO.

He isn't getting away scot free, he is paying for the repair of the appliance in the nice handy apartment that you are renting. I would be deducting your handling charge from your deposit if I was your landlord.

I wouldve thought a handling fee vs doing any maintenance/upgrade/repair work in four years would be a bargain for him to be honest.

This raises another point, how am I supposed to retrieve a deposit from him? No postal address, at his mercy whether he decides to answer calls/texts or not.

Using last months rent would be my preferred approach.

Was this not the first time that something needed to be repaired? if so then you can hardly penalise him for something that never happened.
If he doesn't contact you after all of this, then then only option would be to withhold your final months rent. It's in his own interest to make contact with you at this point.

Yeah this was the first time anything actaully broke but I meant some ongoing maintenance which would usually be done over the years.

If they sublet to you, is this why the landlord did not jump to repair the cooker? Presumably the landlord wont deal with a non leaseholder? Does the landlord know about the sublet?

You seem to have a strong desire to punish the landlord for not being a good landlord. I dont really understand this, if I dont like how my landlord does business, I move. Life is too short to be trying to punish someone who didnt get your cooker fixed quick enough.

If the Op is not n the lease and is in the house at "the invitation" of the other tenants, the OP is a licensee/lodger and has virtually no rights. However, the lack of rights also apply to the Op, who, as a licensee to whom the RTA 2004 does not apply, can easily leave if he has not signed any lease.

Sub-letting only exists when the tenant/s move out and they in turn rent the property and become landlords themselves. Thus, the tenants remain legally responsible to the landlord/owner of the property while the tenants become the landlords of the new tenants who are responsible to them and not to the property owner.

Back