Health Insurance Uncle looking to get into nursing home through fair deal

RowanTree

hI,
My uncle has no assets except for an inheritance which is controlled by my mother due to his medical situation. His health has deteriorated over the last few months, heart problems, he's almost 69 years of age.
The set up is that there is over 66,000 euros in a bank account under my mother and the accountant's name to which 100 is transferred each week into my Uncle's account.
He has a disability pension (allowance) again due to his medical situation.
The fact the receiving account which the 100 is lodged into each week is under my uncle's name will the revenue go back further and ask where this money is coming from? would they see this 66,000 as his or my mother giving him an allowance?
would any one know how this situation would be viewed by Revenue?

Regards,
Thanks

Who did he inherit the money from? Is there any record? If you can prove the inheritance, then the money is his and your mother is acting as a trustee of the will.
However you are meant to pay tax on inheritance - Capital Acquisitions Tax - that is what the revenue would be interested in. Don't panic though - you are allowed inherit certain sums tax free depending on who gave it to him. http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/thresholds.html

Back