unauthorised utility name change:TENANT changed billing name back to that of LANDLORD

Re: unauthorised utility name change:TENANT changed billing name back to that of LAND

My brother in law and 2 of his friends moved into our house and each had a bill in their name. They very rarely paid any of the bills. Only because 1 was asked to leave and the esb bill came and it was left opened on the table that i saw how much they actually owed. Like others i was worried that we would be left to repay this as by this time we had had enough of being landlords. I had a copy of the bill sent to my address so i knew how much it was each month and then made sure i got the money from them and paid it myself. Didn't have to worry much about the other bills as they had all been cut off by that stage. And when we moved in the bills followed the person and didn't stay at the address.

I know that the bill wasn't in my name and it got posted to my address as c/o. But cant remember if the tennent had to give his permission or not.

I dont know how landlords do it......6 months was more than enough for me, and i'll never do it again, it was a total nightmare.

Re: unauthorised utility name change:TENANT changed billing name back to that of LAND

anyone ever have to deal with a gas/esb bill where TENANT changed billing name back to that of the LANDLORD?

Tenant has left yesterday and today I get a gas bill made out to ME with large overdue amount?

Tenant obviously changed billing name back to me at some stage.

Exactly same promlem with Bord Gais - tenats did a runner in early January & I got new tenants late Feb.

New tenant, in Feb, she called with all details & was told I needed to call. Turned out the previous tenant had changed back to my name 2 years ago for about 6 months.

I was NEVER informed.

The old tenants paid some of it off but not all, then managed to change to another name before they got cut off. So I only found out about the problem when I needed to change the name to new the new tenant.

I now have ( after I've proactively call about 10 times & constantly been told it's being sorted) - a letter to say legal action will be taken against us. Callled the number today & after 10 mins, a recorded message saying they are tooooo busy to take my call !!

will update....if they call back

Back