Ulster Bank Systems Down, Many Left Without Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens if you have a mortgage payment going out??I presume the DD will bounce,meaning a missed payment?Not that I can even transfer the blasted money into the aformentioned account.

Surely the Central Bank & Matthew Elderfield could intervene?

If Ulster Bank are permitted to operate as a bank here, surely they are required to provide a RELIABLE SERVICE?

I am shocked that the central bank and the regulator have not stepped in.

Something more to this than anyone is letting on. Even the response here on AAM is subdued.

We just got an email (I haven't copied the full email).

Over the weekend Ulster Bank will endeavour to clear the backlog of automated payments to ensure our customers' balances are up-to-date and that we are operational on Monday. If customers of Ulster Bank have incurred any charges or loss of interest as a result of this incident, they will be refunded in full. Ulster Bank will continue to update our websites regularly.

Access to Funds for HSE Payees:
  • HSE payees who are non-Ulster Bank customers are due to receive payment on Saturday, 23 June.
  • HSE payees who are Ulster Bank customers are due receive lodgements into their accounts on Monday, 25th June.

Hi Knuttell
As far as I am aware they are up as far as Wed. with both payments in & out so when they have solved the problem it will update all transactions. In the circumstances it will not count as a missed payment. No harm to give them a call & get UB to confirm that the cause of payment delay is on their side

What happens if you have a mortgage payment going out??I presume the DD will bounce,meaning a missed payment?Not that I can even transfer the blasted money into the aformentioned account.

Heard on the RTE news today lunchtime that mortgage payments had been made. If this is true and I am wondering how it can be? Now I'm not normally suspicious but this whole episode is beginning to take on a smell.

I Bank with UB and husbands disabilitly was due in account on Wednesday, he was turned away from the cash point, I just assumed his payment was a day late till we heard the news later that day. He was lucky his payment hit the account the next day and he swiftly withdrew. My salary is due in on Thursday next week and the mortgage payment due hope all sorted by then !!! I pay my Mortgage manually at the moment so if no credit then no payments for them !!

I know it's been an awful mess, but the staff in UB branch in Dublin were very helpful today. As usual, they're probably the ones taking the flak

If you have money in the account can you withdraw at an ATM??

Reluctant to attempt this as nothing more certain than no money comes out but your account would be minus the amt next week.

If you have money in the account can you withdraw at an ATM??

Reluctant to attempt this as nothing more certain than no money comes out but your account would be minus the amt next week.

I bought stuff on ebay last night and paid thru Papal and today I shopped in Aldi with debit card and then went to atm to get some cash and had no problems.

Once there is money showing in your account you should be fine...hopefully:)

Seems the cause was a security patch that they applied to their systems without pre-testing it first, same kind of thing we get from microsoft, windows updates.

Amazingly they had no backup should something like this happen.

I'm with ptsb and my money is now showing but with Mondays date, it should have been credited last Thursday. Glad to see it thouh.

I'm with ptsb and my money is now showing but with Mondays date, it should have been credited last Thursday. Glad to see it thouh.

There are knock on affects with other banks. If your employer is with UBL then it has affect on whether it gets paid into your PTSB account.

Seems the cause was a security patch that they applied to their systems without pre-testing it first, same kind of thing we get from microsoft, windows updates.

Amazingly they had no backup should something like this happen.

Off the top of my head I can think of three fail safes that must have went wrong at UBL.

Firstly any patch should have been run in a test environment. (Was it?)

If that goes well then run in production. If a problem arises then revert to the previous version of production before the patch was installed. (Was the version pre-patched saved?)

Failing that, move to your back up mainframe which should be the exact replica as your production mainframe (is it?).

I work in I.T. (not for UB!) but me a nd my colleagues are witnessing the ongoing cutbacks in 'backroom' services, mainly those of High availability and DR (Disaster recovery) solutions which are very costly to a company. I'm not saying this is the case with UB but many many large companies are playing a game of Jenga with their I.T. systems to save money and only when a disaster strikes does this become a huge issue. I reckon its a taste of things to come. I always keep an emergency stash in my local credit union account :)

I agree with this. Our team has been cut back in a big way.

These last few days will be a wake up call for Bank I.T Depts. I can see my own team getting busier in the coming weeks and months as managers panic about DR in the wake of UBLs crazy few days.
And no doubt the Central Bank and Regulator will take a much more active role in Bank DR tests and the scheduling of them.

The first Irish bank ever, to open on a Sunday, happened today.

There was quite a number of customers and some journalists in/around the Grafton Street branch. Customers seemed well aware of the Sunday opening hours.

A lot of customers also seemed willing to tell their Ulster Bank horror stories to the RTE journalist outside.

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

The silver lining might be that if Ulster Bank, were planning to introduce fees, you can bet that the plans are on ice, for months to come, after these recent events.

The silver lining might be

There might be no silver lining if he UB decide to pull out of Ireland. One gets pretty sick of the persistent giving out from the media down, of this situation. They had a problem, realised it and are trying to fix it. What more do people want ?? they're no going bang simple as that.

And the CB and the Regulator are busy pronouncing their investigations. If they had of done all of their investigative work a number of years ago, this little country would not have a broken economy.

So moaners get off the case and leave off the bullying of the UB.

Some questions and answers from the UB site.

80 branches will open until 6pm Monday: Help Desk open till 10:00 PM this evening. 1800 205 100

[broken link removed]

My salary/benefit payment was due into my Ulster Bank account. What should I do?

If you are trying to access a salary or benefit payment and you cannot access your funds via an ATM, you may wish to visit a branch. To help as many of our customers as possible, we will extend the opening hours of approximately 80 of our branches from 9.30am until 6pm. If visiting a branch, it would be helpful if customers could bring identification and their account details with them.

Are ATMs and Anytime Internet Banking and Mobile Phone Banking available?

ATMs (Automated Teller Machines) and Anytime internet and mobile banking are available. However, as we work to resolve the backlog of payments, there may be a small number of interruptions to service.

I am not a customer of Ulster Bank but my salary or welfare payment was impacted by this incident. What can I do?

We have been working with all the other banks to ensure that customers are not financially impacted. Please contact your bank in the first instance.

Why is my balance on my account still not up to date?

We are continuing to work around the clock to clear the backlog, however it is taking longer than anticipated to do so. As a result, customers who have had money lodged to their accounts, may not see this reflected in their balance.

I didn't notice that my balance was not up to date and I have taken out too much cash from my account?

Customers can relodge any cash withdrawn in error and it will be credited to their account. To help as many of our customers as possible we will have 20 of our branches open today. We want to reassure customers that if they experience any charges as a result of this issue they will be refunded.

Can I continue to use my Ulster Bank credit and Visa debit card?

Yes. But please be aware that any balance in your account will not be up to date.

Can I see my balance on Anytime, Mobile Banking or on an ATM screen?

The balance on Anytime Internet and Mobile Banking and ATM screen will not be up to date as it may not reflect transactions due to be applied to your account from Wednesday 20 June onwards.

Will I be charged if my account is out of order?

If you've experienced any charges or loss of interest as a result of this incident please contact us in the first instance and we will refund you fully.

Will I still receive Text Messages regarding my balance on Monday?

We have temporarily suspended balanced text alerts.

Will the website continue to be updated over the weekend?

Yes, we will be providing regular updates to our website over the weekend.

[broken link removed]

Marion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back