Ulster Bank has advised current account customers to start moving their accounts now

I closed two Ulster Bank accounts (savings and current) in a branch this morning. No queue at 9:45am.

Just asked me to use the card and PIN. No ID needed.

Teller didn't seem to know about Government Stamp duty.

I can reassure you that my experience confirms what the other posters have said. As I posted elsewhere, AIB gave me an appointment to visit a branch to open my new accounts. I turned up on the day and the AIB rep opened the current and deposit accounts without leaving my presence and the accounts were open and available online instantly. Note that I did not require an overdraft nor was this mentioned and there was no mention of CCR or any other credit checking at any point.

Totally different the following day when I completed the Credit Card application over the phone. Plenty of mention of credit checking there.
That is great thank you. Time to get moving and open the account next.

Just asked me to use the card and PIN. No ID needed.

Teller didn't seem to know about Government Stamp duty.
The problem is....did the teller actually close the account or just reduce the balance to "nil". Big difference.

If not closed, then fees will follow on later for current accounts. For deposit accounts, interest will be credited later. This is why there are so many petty dormant accounts about.

Same here, accounts closed with confirmation, balance transferred to new account. A small charge to close accounts though (like 2 or 3 euros). No stamp duty, only on the credit card account which I closed over the phone.

Is there any deadline to close UB account? I have transferred all DDs and draining it slowly by debit card but haven't requested formal closure yet.

I've everything transferred apart from a few deposit accounts. I was told that when the time comes, they'll inform me to transfer the money, or send all the money via cheque to the a'c holder

UB's plan is to start issuing letters to personal customers next month giving them 6 months to close. Accounts not closed after 6 months will be forecably closed and a cheque sent out for the balance.

Back