UK unfair bank charges

Domo

I know this is an Irish forum, but has anybody pursued the UK banks for unfair charges while living in Ireland? Will this affect my claim?
I lived in the UK for many years and managed to get a lot of bank charges over the years.
I understand that you can reclaim unfair charges for the last 6 years.
Has anybody here done that?

I've made a claim against a UK bank. There was no issue being based in ireland. I'm still waiting for a response, but as far as I can tell they're progressing my claim in the same way as any other UK resident claimant. Check out for how to progress your claim.

Thanks for that.

I have all my bank statements, now just need to go through them to calculate how much to reclaim, and then submit the letter to the bank.

Let us know how your claim progresses. What bank was it?

Thanks for all replies - will lwt you know how it works out - I think I'm due refunds from 2 banks in the regions of €2,000.

Will pay for next year's school fees!!!!!

Hi ,

I'm also reclaiming around 2,000 from Lloyds. Its unlikely the banks will pay out before you issue proceedings in the small claims court so you might need a uk address for all court documents to go to.

is a good site for info

Having chatted with a pal of mines who kept a large amount of funds in a deposit account earning rubbish interest rates, he got in contact with them and complained to them for not notifying him of the higher interest option.

After a lot of to'ing and fro'ing they have agreed to pay him back the interest at the higher rate and back date it to 18 months ago.

Hi ,

I'm also reclaiming around 2,000 from Lloyds. Its unlikely the banks will pay out before you issue proceedings in the small claims court so you might need a uk address for all court documents to go to.

is a good site for info

I've claimed here for similar charges from HSBC from an Irish address and without making any court claims, and they've just settled with me. They paid out about 85% of the fees that were in question.

You have to remember, you won't get a refund of all fees - especially if they're settling. The premise of the ability to claim refunds is that the charges were too high, not that they shouldn't have been there at all, so you won't get 100% of your claims.

have to disagree, The banks are refunding 100% of what you claim along with court fees. they will offer a token settlement but the key is to accept it as part payment only. they do pay up eventually... certainly before the court date.

Back