Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

Regarding 2023-2024 payment, has anyone got their letter asking for the payment? or is there somewhere to look up how much to pay.

Just to update re payment allocation - below is the response I received from a web chat with HMRC:

" Okay , so dont worry , we have processes in place for you. We would always start earliest years first , the earliest being 2006 and we would work upwards. So your years will be allocated for you , of course this can take a bit of time , but we have processes to ensure your payments will be allocated correctly cause we can see your application to pay.

At the moment we are just coming to an end from sorting payments in January , but that was a busy month. I would say another month or so , you should be able to see these on your record."

Just to update re payment allocation - below is the response I received from a web chat with HMRC:

" Okay , so dont worry , we have processes in place for you. We would always start earliest years first , the earliest being 2006 and we would work upwards. So your years will be allocated for you , of course this can take a bit of time , but we have processes to ensure your payments will be allocated correctly cause we can see your application to pay.

At the moment we are just coming to an end from sorting payments in January , but that was a busy month. I would say another month or so , you should be able to see these on your record."
"cause" :D

I posted bank draft for 16yrs contributions in October. They have recieved it but allocated only for the past year, 2023-24! Rang them and they said they are still allocating and the remainder will be done sometime, so it seems they are allocating backwards.

I posted bank draft for 16yrs contributions in October. They have recieved it but allocated only for the past year, 2023-24! Rang them and they said they are still allocating and the remainder will be done sometime, so it seems they are allocating backwards.
I had the same issue, but the difference is that I only paid for 6 years. I got the impression that they they allocated the amount (about 1000 Pounds) against 1 year at class 3 rather than 6 years at class 2. Your example would indicate that this isn't the case.

Yup same here - still says in progress, they received cheque in March this year, only 2023/24 marked as paid. Just have to trust the process!!

If things change and we can't get both pensions, can we transfer all our years to Ireland? Just thinking if but some miracle I could retire early, for the next 15 years I could actually work up 30 years of Irish contributions (through Irish work and UK voluntary contributions)
Obviously best case is nothing changes and I hope up end up with full UK pension and about 80% Irish.

My status now says 'COMPLETED' but I haven't received any letters or correspondence as of yet. When I go to check my National Insurance Records, I now see the following for the years in which I've moved from UK to Ireland in late 2020:

2023 to 2024 - Your record for this year is not available yet

2022 to 2023 - Year is not full
Pay a voluntary contribution of £824.20 by 5 April 2029.This shortfall may increase after 5 April 2025.

2021 to 2022 - Year is not full
Pay a voluntary contribution of £800.80 by 5 April 2028.This shortfall may increase after 5 April 2025.

2020 to 2021 - Full year
You have contributions from Paid employment.

It is saying I have 2 payable gaps for 2021 to 2022 and 2022 to 2023, with an option to 'Check if you can pay for gaps online' which I haven't clicked as of yet.

My status now says 'COMPLETED' but I haven't received any letters or correspondence as of yet. When I go to check my National Insurance Records, I now see the following for the years in which I've moved from UK to Ireland in late 2020:

2023 to 2024 - Your record for this year is not available yet

2022 to 2023 - Year is not full
Pay a voluntary contribution of £824.20 by 5 April 2029.This shortfall may increase after 5 April 2025.

2021 to 2022 - Year is not full
Pay a voluntary contribution of £800.80 by 5 April 2028.This shortfall may increase after 5 April 2025.

2020 to 2021 - Full year
You have contributions from Paid employment.

It is saying I have 2 payable gaps for 2021 to 2022 and 2022 to 2023, with an option to 'Check if you can pay for gaps online' which I haven't clicked as of yet.

I just got this letter in the post today. Does this sound right, and is it the same kind of letter that everyone else is getting?

1714124055969.png

Why do you think its wrong?

Just found it a bit confusing, the figures in the letter are much cheaper than the figures quoted online when I check online. For example, online it says I would need to pay £824.20 to cover the gap in 2022-23, yet the letter says it would only cost £163.80. Is the quote in the letter for Class 2, whilst the online quote is more likely to be Class 3?

Just found it a bit confusing, the figures in the letter are much cheaper than the figures quoted online when I check online. For example, online it says I would need to pay £824.20 to cover the gap in 2022-23, yet the letter says it would only cost £163.80. Is the quote in the letter for Class 2, whilst the online quote is more likely to be Class 3?
It is class 2 on letter. Online is always set to class 3 even if they approve class 2.

Thanks for confirming that @partnership that clears things up. I'm disappointed that they revoked my original request to pay via direct debit.

1714143965220.png

Did this happen to anyone else? I am now forced to make an annual payment instead, or if I want to change it back to direct debit I would have to submit another CF83 and go back over this entire process again from scratch. Even if I did submit another CF83, the exact same issue would happen again as it would take more than 6 months to sort out again.

Back