Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

No point in wondering - fill in the form and submit it. Let HMRC decide!
That's a given! I was asking if anyone one here may know or have experience with a similar criteria before doing so. Lets give those people an opportunity to reply maybe, those who don't know anything about this, can ignore my post and not reply, save us both the time..
Thank you for reading it though.

Update on my winter fuel allowance.
I received €582.25 into my bank account today from the DWP.
I haven't received notification yet from the DWP, but it is in my account, down as winter fuel.
While i'm here.
My UK pension is going up to £158.01 from this month,
which equates to around €736 a month.
Happy days.

A friend got her reply from HMRC, asking for certified copies of her identity documents, addresses etc. When she rang HMRC, they were unhelpful, saying we don’t know who you are but did let slip that her NI number was for a male person. Anyone come across this? NI numbers being used by someone else?

I had applied for and was granted class 2 pension contribution. in February. I therefore paid the amount as per the letter. I can see the contribution to be reflected in my National Insurance account, however as class 3 and not class 2. Basically, I had paid enough to cover 6 years of class 2 contributions, but only 1 year is showing (appear to be at class 3). I therefore contacted HMRC who confirmed that I was class 2 and that they received my payment, but that they need to reallocate that. A ticket will re raised, but that will take about 20 weeks to complete.

Has anyone experienced that? Both my wife and I have applied and received class 2 approval at the same time. But I decided to pay for myself first, to see how it all works out and only then pay for my wife. Not sure if I should wait now or proceed with her payment.

Last edited:
I noticed that there is now an online form CF83.

Has anyone used this or can offer an opinion on whether it is better to go the online route or the pen and paper way
e.g. does it allow adding additional details? etc

Online form is fine, any additional paper work can be done the old fashioned way.

If however you think you might be an outlier, it might be as well to send your supporting docs first.

I had applied for and was granted class 2 pension contribution. in February. I therefore paid the amount as per the letter. I can see the contribution to be reflected in my National Insurance account, however as class 3 and not class 2. Basically, I had paid enough to cover 6 years of class 2 contributions, but only 1 year is showing (appear to be at class 3). I therefore contacted HMRC who confirmed that I was class 2 and that they received my payment, but that they need to reallocate that. A ticket will re raised, but that will take about 20 weeks to complete.

Has anyone experienced that? Both my wife and I have applied and received class 2 approval at the same time. But I decided to pay for myself first, to see how it all works out and only then pay for my wife. Not sure if I should wait now or proceed with her payment.
I suspect I may end up in the same situation. I also received my letter in February confirming class 2, but logging onto the site today (7 weeks later) it tells me that I'm Class 3 and still shows my application as "In Progress", and not to expect an outcome until late June.

I made a payment for 7 years 2 weeks ago.

Suspect my payment will be treated the same way as yours.

I suspect I may end up in the same situation. I also received my letter in February confirming class 2, but logging onto the site today (7 weeks later) it tells me that I'm Class 3 and still shows my application as "In Progress", and not to expect an outcome until late June.

I made a payment for 7 years 2 weeks ago.

Suspect my payment will be treated the same way as yours.
Did you ring them and tell them what years to allocate it to? I do that about a week or two after paying.

Did you ring them and tell them what years to allocate it to? I do that about a week or two after paying.
Yes, I did that the day before making the payment. Am sure all will be fine. I'm just paranoid because of the discrepancy between the online system and hard copy letter.

Tell your friend to supply the documentation requested. No point second guessing.
Hi DannyBoyD, she intends to do that but she only has about 4/5 years contributions and is worried that she’ll go to all that expense of getting certified copies, only to be told she can’t top up her pension as she falls short.

Hi DannyBoyD, she intends to do that but she only has about 4/5 years contributions and is worried that she’ll go to all that expense of getting certified copies, only to be told she can’t top up her pension as she falls short.
I got documents certified at the Garda Station.. Brought the originals and copies of the docs with me. Straight forward. No cost.

what odds does the year it is allocated make?

Is there a way to flag the C2 with them before paying so we can avoid this c3 assignment and 20 week further wait. I prefer to have these admin tasks off my desk and not end up in a cycle of monitoring. Also insane that such an admin task takes 20 weeks - the way some government agencies are run is really deplorable, some 3rd world countries have more efficiency

By and large none
I prefer to have these admin tasks off my desk and not end up in a cycle of monitoring.
Why do you feel you have to "monitor"
Also insane that such an admin task takes 20 weeks - the way some government agencies are run is really deplorable,
Given that another state, where you do not live, no longer pay taxes to, nor vote in is willing to provide you with a lifelong pension of c. £10k a year, a few months wait is hardly a tragedy.
some 3rd world countries have more efficiency
a.Why the need for perjoratives?
b.see previous point.

Yes, I did that the day before making the payment. Am sure all will be fine. I'm just paranoid because of the discrepancy between the online system and hard copy letter.
May I ask whom you rang please? Local office of HMRC to where you've worked in the UK? The general NI contact number? Anyone tried using the HMRC app to get in touch with an agent via chat?

Thanks, John

Is there a way to flag the C2 with them before paying so we can avoid this c3 assignment and 20 week further wait. I prefer to have these admin tasks off my desk and not end up in a cycle of monitoring. Also insane that such an admin task takes 20 weeks - the way some government agencies are run is really deplorable, some 3rd world countries have more efficiency
You are assuming they will pay the oldest year. They may allocate it to a recent one. If you are paying money you need to tell them what it is for.
I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to do this. Yes delays are frustrating but I have found hmrc good to deal with and their app is great.

May I ask whom you rang please? Local office of HMRC to where you've worked in the UK? The general NI contact number? Anyone tried using the HMRC app to get in touch with an agent via chat?

Thanks, John

I rang the number on the website
0044 1912037010

Around 30 minutes on hold, but very helpful in answering a few queries that I had

Back