UK Social Welfare Pension

donalfff

hello,

living in Ireland but previously worked in the UK (have 4 years NI record). I also have 20 years A1 PRSI stamps in Ireland.

advised by UK pension centre: 'If you have lived or worked overseas, you may be able to use your time abroad to make up the 10 years you need to get any UK state pension'

I'm curious how this actually worked, would trying to combine my Irish record with UK record, interfere or affect claiming my Irish PRSI pension?

thanks

No, the EU have rules about pensions entitlements when you have worked in different countries within the EU. Each country , when calculating your pension rights, will take into account your "stamps" in other EU countries. You will not get full pension from each but a pro-rata pension based on the repspective contributions. Of course, Brexit may or may not affect your entitlements - who knows?

You apply for your pension in the country where you last worked/paid stamps and they will inform the other countries on your behalf. More info on the Dept of Social Welfare (or whatever it's called now) site

Back