UK Driving Licence Query

Interesting discussion.

What happens if you are given points for breaking the speed limit in Ireland but respond saying that you have a UK license? Are the points still recorded somewhere?

Rois - I'm not sure that you can change your UK license to an Irish address if that's what you are suggesting. I looked into that on the DVLA website when I moved to Ireland and it said you had to have a permanent UK address to have a UK license.

Bubbly Scot - are you sure that the actual UK license expires on the expiry date on the card. I thought that was just the expiry date for the photo (10 yrs) but the license is valid until 70th birthday. Must check my paper part now because photocard is expiring soon.

If you look at the bottom of the paper form that acompanies the credit card style UK licence, it states that you do not have to inform them of a change of address, if you are now residing outside of the UK.

Interesting discussion.

What happens if you are given points for breaking the speed limit in Ireland but respond saying that you have a UK license? Are the points still recorded somewhere?

The points are recorded on an Irish record, if and when you change to an Irish licence, any points still "valid" will be shown on that. We informed our insurance company of the points though incase it was an issue.

Bubbly Scot - are you sure that the actual UK license expires on the expiry date on the card. I thought that was just the expiry date for the photo (10 yrs) but the license is valid until 70th birthday. Must check my paper part now because photocard is expiring soon.

Would you let me know? I can't find my paper part unless it's buried in the bottom of the safe. Wonder if it's would still be valid then? maybe you just can't use the photo part for ID after it expires. I thought I'd have to change in 2010, I don't mind having an Irish licence but it's not as practical to carry as the UK one and the paperwork, doc certs etc are a bit of a pain.

Rois - I'm not sure that you can change your UK license to an Irish address if that's what you are suggesting. I looked into that on the DVLA website when I moved to Ireland and it said you had to have a permanent UK address to have a UK license.

Yes, I assume if you want to obtain a UK licence you need a UK address. But, if you then move to Ireland, it's sufficient just to enter your new address on the paper part of the licence (do NOT return this to the DVLA). That was the advice we were given when I issued driving licences 2 years ago (so I assume it's still the same).

As I said, I had to produce my licence to the gardai a couple of weeks ago, and there was no problem whatsoever.

Rois - I get what you mean now

Bubbly Scot - will check mine over the weekend and let you know. for the same reasons as you, I would prefer not to have to change mine over when it expires.

Just found the info below on a website - it appears that its just around the 10th anniversary of the UK photocard introduction so a lot of them are starting to expire.

Appears that a UK licence is valid up to 70yrs old regardless of the photocard but you can be fined up to €1000 for driving in the UK with a photocard with an expired photo!

Photocard Driving Licence 10 Year Update

When does yours run out?

All UK photocard driving licences need to be updated every 10 years.

The photo on the licence is only valid for 10 years, therefore the driving licence and photo needs to be updated accordingly. Drivers will not need to retake a driving test but will of course need to submit a new photo of how they currently look.

This will start to happen from July 2008 onwards, the DVLA will start to issue reminders from May 2008 onwards. The holder must renew their licence before their current photo expires. Renewal is necessary to avoid a £1000 fine. The licence expiry date can be found in the section marked 4b on the front of the photocard.

The paper part of the licence however does not contain an expiry until the holders 70th Birthday.

Just to clarify, my UK licence is one of the old style ones with no photo and is valid till I'm 70.

Back