UK credit rating nightmare...Any advice?

dawall

Hi,

I'll try to make a long story short but basically this is my problem.
Moved across from the UK summer 2013. Sold the house in the UK 2014. I've always had a perfect credit history, any loan paid off before the due date, credit card paid off every month (15k limit) decently paid job
I applied with AIB for a mortgage and was approved in principle. I had to furnish a lot of details from the UK including a credit check...All was fine. The approval ran out and I wasn't going to bother with a mortgage so didn't seek to extend it. However I changed my mind and was looking to re-apply, filled out the form and dug out the UK banking details etc etc. I done another UK credit check on myself and was horrified to find I was delinquent on a credit card payment to the sum of 320 GBP. I work away and was due to leave home in the early hours the next morning. I managed to contact the credit card company (It was after close of business) because the payment was 6 months in arrears it had been handed to a debt collection agency. I immediately contacted the agency (these guys work all hours) and made the payment to clear the matter up. Because I am away out of the country I haven't contacted the credit card company to find out just what happened but it will be something like this:
I closed my UK bank account in June 2014, I hadn't spent anything on the card for a good while and would have thought there wasn't anything outstanding? I had an arrangement with the woman who bought my house for her to pass my mail ( The first 6 months was redirected by the post office) on to my mother in law who posted it on, I can't see the credit card company not sending me a statement etc but the woman who bought my house is telling me I hadn't received any mail....I don't believe this for one minute.

Anyway I feel deflated by this and my plans are laying in the dust. I have the best part of 200k euro's in the bank (AIB) and was looking for a 60k mortgage over 10 years , not to spend the full 260 on a house but a bit less and keep the rest as a safeguard. Now I don't know what to do...just forget about the mortgage or to still go on with the application? Of course I would be up front about the situation but a bad credit rating isn't going to make it easy. I don't relish the embarrassment of a knock back. Should I use a mortgage broker?

Any advice would be extremely gratefully received

If I was you I would continue with the application. A knock back if it comes will only be that, it isn't the end of the world. Using a broker might help, at the very least for you it would feel better having someone "in your corner", as such. You have a sizeable deposit and a steady income and are not looking for an unmanageable amount. Yes there is a blip on your UK credit history but it is for a small amount and you have dealt with it efficiently and promptly once you found out the problem. Request the statements from the CC company so you can demonstrate that it was an oversight and that it has been rectified.

They may say no, but if they do, what does it matter? It doesn't get published in newspapers or anything. Just challenge it if they do.

Don't get too upset about the missing post. But do try and think if there is anything else that might have gone to that address. Perhaps get the post redirected again and ensure that any that comes gets either cancelled or the address changed.

Hello thanks for the advice and encouragement.
Yes, I think I will carry on with the application putting them in the complete picture and see how it goes.

Cheers.

Back