UK car import guide: Comprehensive

Was going to tell them it will be in uk for6 months and they insured my wife's car with uk plates when she brought it over 3.5yrs ago for 6 months. They seem to be the only company that do it?

Allianz have unlimited use in gb but need notifying if it goes to mainland Europe. My wife is resident but I am not.

I think you're trying to have your cake and eat it with this one. You can't really have it both ways:

Revenue will want to see plenty of evidence that it is a genuine permanent change of residence from abroad to avail of the VRT exemption.

At the same time, you are trying to put an Irish address on the insurance certificate (you can get a UK car insured here, but only from an Irish address). This surely contradicts your attempt to show a true change of residence.

If it were me, I'd focus on ensuring you meet all the change of residence rules (e.g. you have to own the car for six months before the move etc.), and base insurance on the UK until after the move. The saving on VRT is almost certainly far more than any difference in insurance costs (as an aside, are these not generally lower in the UK? they certainly used to be).

Allianz who insure my wife's car in Ireland have no time restrictions on cars use in uk it's only mainland Europe where they have a limit. I insured her car with my NCB to keep it running.

They also insured her car for 6 months when she moved over 3.5 yrs ago with uk plates. All the others give you 2weeks.

I am going to tell them but need to know does it affect the importing vrt free process

Hi. New to this so not sure if I anyone here knows the answer. We lent my sister and husband in Ireland one of our cars as they were going through difficult times and needed a car. So we took it over there, it is uk registered and taxed and they have had ity for about 5 months. last night, they called us and said revenue people had been and impounded car. Basically they interviewed my brother in law and said he needed to have registered the car. However he is not the owner of the car and the car is only there temporarily. They wanted him to pay 2000 euros and then took the car. What to do now???? We own the car and they even explained how it was only lent to them until they were back on their feet. Thanks.

My main reason for asking is my ncb is being used on our car to stop it from running out and my wife has her ncb free at the moment.

What I will have to do is transfer the insurance to my wife to free up mine and take it back to the uk for me to use.

Thanks anyway.

Charlie

Coupe of questions:

Once I go over, pay for the car and bring it back, how long do I have before it must be registered in my name?

Is it possible and legal to bring a car in privately and sell it on to a third party? - in the case where I have purchased the car and paid the VRT.

Coupe of questions:

Once I go over, pay for the car and bring it back, how long do I have before it must be registered in my name?

Is it possible and legal to bring a car in privately and sell it on to a third party? - in the case where I have purchased the car and paid the VRT.

Answers are all in the Revenue FAQ.

You have 30 days from the date of entry.

Once registered and VRT paid, you can sell it on to anyone at any time in the same manner you would a second hand car you bought in the state.

Revenue often ask to show UK insurance as proof that you were in the UK.

Why don't you use your ncb in the UK and take it back with you to Ireland when you move back. I have used a northern in the south and also a southern NCB in the North

You will have to speak to the revenue guy who lifted the car. They can some times be reasonable if it is genuine.

I had a car impounded one time and had to pay the penalty and the VRT to have the car released to me. The can do a deal on the fine

I think you may need to engage a solicitor for this one, there are notes regarding this on the form they would have given to your BIL

Back