UK car import guide: Comprehensive

Read my posts above - I made the deal and paid them and agreed with dealership that if I was not happy in any way when I seen and tested car They would return money to currency.ie
Currency.ie told me that lots of people do it this way.
However make sure you have a HPI done just to make sure theres no money owed etc. You can request the garage have this for you.

Not stupid at all to put deposit on car. You won't need an RAC .The dealer will give you a guarantee that it is clear/has no money owing etc. And it will be guaranteed. Go for it.

Go for it. The dealer will guarantee that the car is ok and that there is no money owing on the car so you don't need a RAC.

Looking for some advice here - Im wanting to import an 08 car from the UK. Just over 4K miles on it and its from a main dealer.

Its the car I want, style spec etc. so am not interested in going over, test driving and returning another day to purchase etc.

Would i be stupid to place a deposit on it via credit card over the phone, and agree a price. Cant see the point in getting a RAC inspection done on a 4 month old car. I would then get a draft and fly over and collect it on the same day.

Advice greatly apprecitated.

Can anyone give the inside story on the car warranty.

I have read in numerous places that the warranty is valid in Ireland. However, god forbid anything covered by warranty does go wrong, can I just drive to a main dealer in Ireland and they will sort it for me.

Has anyone any experience of doing this.

Stoney
Like anything it depends on the manuf. policy but Toyota for example have a pan european warranty up to 3 years or 100,000 kms,

With regard to StoneyBurkes question above, cars that are out of manafacturers warranty and only have the sellers 12 month guarantee (assuming you get this in the UK) does anyone have expierence of this?
Looking at the drop in value of cars in the UK it is probably best value to go for a 1 or 2 year old car which should still be under warranty.
In particular i am interested in bringing in a Ford Focus TDCI.

I am new to this site and am impressed by the amount of useful info I have found already. keep up the good work

If its out of manufacturers warranty you won't be covered in Ireland,you can use this to get further discount if buying from a dealer of course.

Just brought in a 2 year old volvo from a dealership. I went through this with the warranty and was assured by Volvo warranty's that the warranty was valid here. However if I have a problem I have to go to a dealership here, they have have to register the problem with them, then upon fixing the problem I have to pay and be reimburst through volvo UK. It has something to do with volvo payment proceedures. The main thing is the 1 year warranty is valid here.
I suspect this may be different from make to make. However Ford and Volvo are from the same stable.
Call a dealer in the UK and ask for number to warranty division.

If its out of manufacturers warranty you won't be covered in Ireland,you can use this to get further discount if buying from a dealer of course.

If it's out of warranty, you won't be covered in any country !?

I just want to double check. When importing a 2 litre jeep rav4 2005 from Northern ireland, I figured the motor tax remains the same based on the fact that it is pre July.

Is this the case i.e based on engine size.
I spoke to someone the other day who seemed to think that it would be 2k pa motor tax because it was a jeep

If your buying a new car within the EU, the price comparison website published by the EU is useful.

Prices listed are pre-tax and post tax and are published yearly.

See
http://ec.europa.eu/comm/competition/sectors/motor_vehicles/prices/report.html

Hardcopy is available from EU information centres.

To be taken into account is that dealers outside of Ireland are more willing to share their profit. Discounts of up to 8-10 % are common.

Manufacturers under EU law must supply RHD if requested in any of the states of the EU.

hi guys.
im a little ignorant when it comes to importing cars from the uk to ireland..what are the things i need to have sorted out.im hoping to buy a car from the uk soon and i want to make sure i have everything right when doing so..

for example do the uk number plates need to be on the car when getting onto the boat.this is kind of obvious i know..
also what kind of documentation do i need to have when getting onto the boat ..

with regards to tax and insurance.can i just transfer my existing insurance onto a uk vehicle..and does the vehicle have to be taxed if im just driving it to the boat to import it.
if there is anything else i need to know i woud be greatful if you could let me know.
kind regards mark..

Yes, leave the UK plates on the car until it is registered here and you have the new Irish plates.

The ferry ports just check your ferry ticket/ID, they don't check car details.

Contact your insurance company in advance and let them know you'll be transferring your insurance. They'll need to UK reg number and time the transfer is to take place.

If the police detect an untaxed vehicle on the road over there they can and do impound it so you should make sure the vehicle is taxed.

I think most vehicles there for sale will be taxed as it's much more difficult there to state the vehicle is off the road, even for test drives it will need to be taxed so you should be okay in that respect, but I wouldn't take any chances.

thanks a mill leo and dereko1969..the cars in the uk are a much better spec than here in ireland..and the calculations ive made i seem to have saved alot of cash by doing so..ye have been most helpful.

No problem, best of luck with it. I did the same a number of years back. The car I bought wasn't taxed, but the garage I bought it from gave me a letter to give to the police if I was stopped on the way to the ferry, with the garage phone number so the police could confirm the story. If you have that and you're on the way to a ferry you have a valid ticket for, they are likely (but not guarateed) to let you on your way.

I'm currently looking at going over to the UK in August to buy a 2 - 3 year old car, possibly a BMW 3 series (it seems to be the most fuel efficient car out there and I do a lot of commuting to work, 35 miles each way daily).

I have a UK bank account still from my time living in Scotland 18 years ago. So, the question.... What is the easiest and cheapest way to pay in Stg ?

Vrt

I have bought a car in uk as work their and will be looking to take to Ireland next June to transfer to irish reg.

I go to Ireland 4 days per month but my wife lives there and it is cheaper for her to insure the car in Ireland as it can be driven in the uk with no restrictions.

Would this affect the vrt exemption even though I am living and working in the uk or should I insure it in uk?

Cheers

Charlie

it is cheaper for her to insure the car in Ireland as it can be driven in the uk with no restrictions.

Are they happy to insure a UK registered car? Are you coming clean and telling them the normal address the car is located at is in the UK?

I know RSA policies reduce cover while driving outside Ireland, I'm sure others do likewise, and may limit the number of days coverage outside Ireland. Also, RSA policies state that the insured and all named drivers must be resident in Ireland. So you'll need to check out the terms and assumptions of the quote here.

Back