UK Bank Account - Need for UK Address

WarrenBuffet

Hi,

I worked in the UK until about 5 years ago. When I left the country I changed my address to Dublin and my current and savings accounts were left untouched as I no longer needed them.

In 2009 the accounts were put on hold until I provided the bank with a UK address. This is related to the current financial crisis - seemingly Ireland is a high risk country and the home address for the account must be in the UK.

Does anyone have any idea what this means? I can easily provide them with a UK address (I have plenty of friends and family living in London) - should i do this? I live and work in Dublin.

I have no interest in the current account - I would just like to have the option of lodging some of my euro savings into a sterling bank account.

Thanks,
WB

I think to open a bank account now you will be need to be residing in the country when you want opne the account.

Saying that the other day I want to transfer some funds from my current account to the a savings one, I had been with the bank concerned for years and my salary goes into it as well and I visit the bank regularly. I was asked for extra ID because the amount was over £500. When I queried this with the person serving me he said that they are new rules that has just been brough in. Note of the amount and transferred and I have to answer some secutity questions as well.

Hi,

I worked in the UK until about 5 years ago. When I left the country I changed my address to Dublin and my current and savings accounts were left untouched as I no longer needed them.

In 2009 the accounts were put on hold until I provided the bank with a UK address. This is related to the current financial crisis - seemingly Ireland is a high risk country and the home address for the account must be in the UK.

Does anyone have any idea what this means? I can easily provide them with a UK address (I have plenty of friends and family living in London) - should i do this? I live and work in Dublin.

I have no interest in the current account - I would just like to have the option of lodging some of my euro savings into a sterling bank account.

Thanks,
WB

i had an old abbey national acount with some oney in it when i came back to ireland 15 years ago, i had an atm card with it. about 9 years ago abbey national would not renew the atm card because i had an irish address. i still kept the account open with some oney in it. last year i was trying to tanfer money to it in london and could not because they said it was a dormant account. with the advent of the trouble over the euro this last few weeks i decided to drive to newry to take the money i had in abbey national who are now called santander out and to see if i could open a sterling account in NI with an irish address. when i went to santander they said they would reactivate the account and send me out a new atm card and had no probolem with the irish address. i then walked accross to the ulster bank and asked could i open a sterling accoiunt with an irish address and again no problem, account set up threre and then as long as i had proof of address and photographic ID this was two weeks ago.

Back