Uisce Eireann or Irish Water

dewdrop

Just wondering why the english version is being used all the time in the media etc whereas the parent company has an Irish name, Bord Gais. I am not an avid promotor of the Irish language but i feel the name "Irish Water" sounds dull whereas Uisce Eireann has a nice ring to it (until the bills arrive!)

I would argue that the use of Irish language titles by state agencies and quangos doesn't promote the Irish language one bit. In fact I'm convinced it fosters unwelcome resentment against Irish, which many now see as the language of petty officialdom and bureaucracy.

Exactly - how much money could be saved by removing the ridiculous requirement that all official documents have to be printed in Irish as well as English

That said, 10 years after the Official Languages Act - the public service needs to up their game big time.

That said, 10 years after the Official Languages Act - the public service needs to up their game big time.

In what way? MORE Irish?! :eek:

There probably aren't enough Gaelgeoirí in the country to administer the State properly through Irish if that's what you're saying should happen. Never mind the fact that only a tiny percentage of the populace would be able to decipher the Irish version, and even fewer still would want to.

I wince whenever I see a big state/quango ad spread across a newspaper page, half in Irish, half in English, when common sense alone should be telling people not to be wasting money. Not to mention those thick glossy ESB booklets with English on the front half and Irish on the back.

Or they could continue to (mostly) ignore it safe in the knowledge that the number of people who care can be counted on one hand.

I just thought "uisce Eireann" sounded nicer that "Irish water". nothing whatsoever re promoting Irish language.

"There will also be a cost for installation, payable in instalments, but Irish Water has not confirmed how much it will be." - rte.ie/news

Before they said the cost would be spread over 20-30 years aprox. Goalposts changing spring to mind and i still cant understand how Bord Gais got this contract when An Post was never even invited to tender for taking houshold charge payments because Hogan said he would have to invite others to tender and it would take too long.

"There will also be a cost for installation, payable in instalments, but Irish Water has not confirmed how much it will be." - rte.ie/news

Before they said the cost would be spread over 20-30 years aprox. Goalposts changing spring to mind and i still cant understand how Bord Gais got this contract when An Post was never even invited to tender for taking houshold charge payments because Hogan said he would have to invite others to tender and it would take too long.

I think you'll find that Bord Gais have a lot more experience and expertise in the maintaining, upgrading and expanding network pipelines than An Post

Yet again from you another pithy little phrase with no logical argued point.

You really are a waste of space and a troll at this stage.

One of your Senators has used the Official Languages Act to stymie an investigation into his expenses claims so I would have thought you'd be in favour of it.

Back