UHT (Long Life) Milk

Barney Magoo

UHT milk is very useful to have at home for emergencies or when you return from abroad. Expiry dates are usually several months from date of manufacture.
It seems to have disappeared from our supermarkets though. Not a huge seller here maybe, because the fresh milk supply chain is so efficient and 'standard' milks last sufficiently long for the vast majority of the Irish market. Other countries continue to sell UHT milk and it is still available in Northern Ireland.
There are various new 'milks' on the market of course (Almond, Soy, Coconut, etc.) but the standard UHT cow's milk is impossible to find anywhere.
Can anyone help?

Why don't you just freeze some milk. Leave it out overnight to defrost. Can't stand UHT myself. If you don't use much milk in your tea and only need a bit, you can also freeze it in the ice tray.

Lidl has it in the fridge with the rest of the milk. Agree it’s handy to have.

Yeah last place I got it was LIDL, in a red carton. They keep it in the fridge just to confuse us :)

I keep one for emergencies e.g. no milk, regular milk soured etc.
If no emergency, will open it for use in coffee rather than tea or cereal.

376865.png

Yeah last place I got it was LIDL, in a red carton. They keep it in the fridge just to confuse us :)

I keep one for emergencies e.g. no milk, regular milk soured etc.
If no emergency, will open it for use in coffee rather than tea or cereal.
Probably in the fridge as Irish people don't realise that other countries don't have the habit of buying fresh milk in a fridge. Also I assume Irish people like milk cold.

Next time you are in McDonald's just pick up a few sachets of milk.

As above, handy if you take milk in tea or coffee. Or like me, not a milk drinker, but handy if visitors want some.

When Father Dougal McGuire took over the milk float on Craggy Island - after Pat Mustard was fired - the owner of the float told Dougal that there was no demand for UHT because it was "shyite" or some similar word. :)

I find Lidl do quite a good UHT milk for 99c per litre at present. It's very handy to keep a few if these just in case you run out of ordinary milk.

Back