UFH Timings for heating house

T

thepool700

just looking for feedback on peoples ufh usage timings to have nice heat in the evening. Am I running it too short or too long a time? Am i running at incorrect time to get more efficent heat usage?

I'm one of the many who cannot justify 24/7. Current setup is running ufh with oil....

running it from 1pm - 4pm has nice heat in evening but when i get up during night i feel is a lot warmer!!!!

any other feedback will be much appreciated

We use UFH in a large open plan kitchen/dining/family room

We have ours setup using programmable room thermostats and fed from a buffer tank which is in turn heated by oil and/or a solid fuel stove. The buffer tank also feeds two other zones in the house that have conventional radiators.

The system is set to be on from 6am to 8pm but in effect it runs for about an hour in the morning from 6am to 7am and the retained heat means it doesn't come on again until 5'ish when it again runs for about 30 minutes to an hour.

The room stats are only set to about 18 degrees but by the time that floor switches off then the temperature continues to rise to over 20 degrees due to the heat capacity of the screed floor.

When the weather is really cold then we find the UFH struggles a bit so we then use a stove as an extra boost

We are never cold using this approach and we are running the UFH for less than 2 hrs a day

billb, that's mightily impressive. I don't know anyone else who can run their space heating with UFH for only 2 hours per day. I have experimented with mine for over 12 months, trying to run for say two/three hours in the morning and then two/three hours again in the evening but found this to be wholly ineffective
I now use my room stats to run ours for a 4 hour continuous block (longer obviously in the Arctic conditions of recent months), coming on at 3am. My experience is that running in two hour blocks doesn't generate sufficient & sustained heat into the screed in order for it to be released with any discernible impact on the space heating. I thought my current modus operandi was good compared to how I used the system initially, but I'm blown out of the water by yours. Most of my peers have rad systems and they can hardly survive by running for two hours only.

Back