UB, PTSB to replacing LASER with Visa Debit

RonanC

I received a letter yesterday from PTSB in relation to my Laser Card and it said that they will soon be replacing the Laser cards with Visa Debit cards.

I have been in touch with PTSB and was told that this is to allow account holders to make online payments and payments throughout the world.

Now, my main issue with this is, some well known discount food stores only accept cash or Laser and no other payments are allowed. I mentioned this to PTSB who said that there would be very little who use the same payment facility and Visa Debit is much better.

I will be contacting the above mentioned discount stores to ask if they will consider accpeting Visa Debit also

Hmmm interesting.
Trying to think where else is laser only.
Any idea if there will be extra charges involved also?

Great I'm in the process of switching to PTSB from Halifax and the reason I chose PTSB is they were due to get the VISA debit although they could not give the exact date of when it comes in.

One of the two discount food stores (I'm assuming you mean Aldi & Lidl!) recently started accepting VISA Debit Cards - can't remember which one, but I remember smiling to myself because they introduced it just as Halifax announced their departure!

Laser is very limited in its uses and I welcome the change. I'm sure 'discount stores' (?) will soon change their payment methods to suit as it would mena huge loss of business.

Now, my main issue with this is, some well known discount food stores only accept cash or Laser and no other payments are allowed. I mentioned this to PTSB who said that there would be very little who use the same payment facility and Visa Debit is much better.

Your issue is a "Lidl" out of date ;)

Lidl already accept Visa Debit, and I'm sure it's been mentioned here that Aldi seem to also accept it now. They didn't have much of a choice after Ulster converted to Visa Debit, as other big banks would follow in due course.

Ha ha very good :)

Lidl already accept Visa Debit, and I'm sure it's been mentioned here that Aldi seem to also accept it now. They didn't have much of a choice after Ulster converted to Visa Debit, as other big banks would follow in due course.

I must check with Aldi as I was 99.9% sure it was cash or Laser only

Cheers for the info though

The only place my visa debit card won't work is with the National Lottery...:(
even the ESB accepts them now.

Lidl staff may try and stop you from using the card. Many of them will only allow Laser and will not allow anything else. This is down to poor training.

i dont think all retailers offer casback, i have ulster visa debit now,had halifax previously, and when i asked in one or two places,they didnt offer any cashback on it.
when i was in asda in enniskillen, the assistant did ask, maybe more common up north.

Well the UK/NI have had Visa Debit for a lot longer - so yes, cash back on a Visa Debit would be nothing new to them :)

Supervalue wont give me cash back on my new UB Visa Debit card.
Dunnes do.
Havent tried Tescos yet.

Supervalue wont give me cash back on my new UB Visa Debit card.
Dunnes do.
Havent tried Tescos yet.

Surprised at the inconsistency here with the supermarkets (apart from Aldi/Lidi) would love to know the reason why some won't.

I usually pay cash in Lidl/Aldi because it's quicker. Last weekend I saw the woman in front of me pay with a Visa card, don't know if it was debit or credit.

Lidl and Aldi in the UK take credit cards, in Germany they don't.

I suppose it's something they fine-tune to the local markets?

Back