Tyres:What does 96H XL mean in -205/60 R16 96H XL

Discussion in 'Cars, cycling and transport' started by askU, Jan 26, 2009.

1. askU

askU Frequent Poster

Tyres:What does 96H XL mean in - 205/60 R16 96H XL

2. Herbie

Herbie Frequent Poster

Re: Tyers:What does 96H XL mean in -205/60 R16 96H XL

96 is a weight rating and H is the speed rating. XL stands for Xtra Load.

3. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

The 96H Breaks down as follows :

96 - Load Index. The tyre can sustain a load of 910 kgs
    H - speed rating. The tyre can sustain a speed of 130 mph / 210 kph for 10 minutes without disintegrating

See Here - http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

4. RedTop

RedTop Frequent Poster

XL ratings are used in MPV or 7 seaters. Due to the eXtra Load of potentially carrying 7 adults, the sidewalls of the tyres need to be stronger than those on a normal saloon car. Please do not try to save money by going for the cheaper standard tyres. You might regret it when you have to put the tyres under pressure and they let you down. You cannot put a price on child safety. Note : I do not work for a tyre company, I'm just a parent who has been buying tyres for our family 7 seater for years.

5. askU

askU Frequent Poster

6. rgfuller

rgfuller Frequent Poster

7. askU

askU Frequent Poster

thanks!

8. askU

askU Frequent Poster

I presume a tyre with a Load Index 96 will last longer than a tyre with a Load Index of 92?

9. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

No, a load index has nothing to do with longevity, it is an index of the maximum load a tyre can carry; LI 92 = 630kg, LI 96 = 710kg.

The bigger and heavier the car and the greater it load-carrying capacity (2,4,5,7 passangers + luggage, etc) , the higher the LI needs to be.

10. askU

askU Frequent Poster

I drive a Peugeot 407 hdi 2.0L that has a Kerb Weight of 1580kg- Would the LI 96 be ok?

11. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

Use the Permissible Total Weight (PTW) from you vehicle handbook. PTW is usually Kerb Weight (or Unladen Weight Ready for Road) + Payload. If you tow a trailer you'll need to do a few more sums. :)

I use the following formula with a safety-factor (SF) of 20% - ((PTW + (PTW x SF)) / 4 = LI

12. irishlinks

irishlinks Guest

What is V speed rating if H is High Speed?

13. askU

askU Frequent Poster

14. mathepac

mathepac Frequent Poster

H is not equivalent to "high-speed", V, Z, W & Y are high-speed, in that order, 240, 240+, 270, 300 kph respectively.