Two month notice period for senior tech perm job. Too long? Unusual?

gearoid

Hi,
I've been offered a very good permanent IT job. My only bugbear is that they expect a two month's notice period. To me this affects my abilities to move to another position in the future if it were to arise. Would any prospective employer view this as a hindrance to employing me? Is it unusual or excessive in people's view?

Thanks
Gearoid

I work for one of the large IT multinationals and the standard here is 6 weeks for most roles.

My notice period is either one month, or one week for each year of service, whichever is longer.

I had this in my contract in my last job. Fortunately, it worked in my favour as I was made redundant without working out my notice so they had to pay me two months wages on top. I believe this can be negotiable as I has queried it with my manager as a by the way. It would be wise for a company to be flexible here as it can be a two way street.

It is clear that the employer wants somebody who is committed to the job, and the notice period reflects that.

OP's dislike of the notice period suggests that he does not have the sense of commitment that the employer wants.

you can break the contrack by offering 1 month salary to employer..no strings attached

Back