TV Licence

P

Peter

Does the TV /Radio Licence represent good value for money?

Re: TV Licence value

Well between RTE TV and Radio you get over 12 hours of prime time Angelus bell ringing. So No not for me.

It'd be even better if we had "Winning Streak" on every day of the week !!!

Plus bring back old mammies singing their hellos on the Late Late Show !

na

watch your dvd movies on the 'puter, read the news on the net, turn on the hifi and read a book.

No, it certainly doesn't. Television itself doesn't offer good value for money. All that time, wasted. My quality of life has vastly improved since getting rid of the tell-you-vision.

Three more points:
The licence is contrary to Article 10 of the European human rights.

According to Irish legislation, anything that constitutes an Aerial needs a TV licence. I do not have a TV licence, but my blood contains Iron. I am (like every one else) a human aerial, and would therefore require a licence to live. If you own wire coat hangers, the same applies. (However, TV licencing disagree with this, despite it plainly being in the legislation.)

TV licencing are allowed to store your personal details on their database regardless of if you actually own a TV or not. This seems contrary to the Data protection act (storage of irrelevant personal information.) After writing to them about this, they informed me that they are above the data protection act.

Re: na

Don't forget the ever entertaining Lyrics Board! Has no one in the country pointed out to RTE that this is pure s**t!! And dont get me started on the salaries.........

Telebingo

telebingo, what the jaysus is that all about, some bloke in a frock playing with his balls

Re: Telebingo

This seems contrary to the Data protection act (storage of irrelevant personal information.) After writing to them about this, they informed me that they are above the data protection act.
So report them to the Data Protection Commissioner.

In all fairness to RTE, you can't measure their Public Service Broadcasting capability by TellyBingo & The Lyrics Board. Measure it by Prime Time, News, Questions & Answers, the radio shows for the blind & the disabled, etc etc. If you want to know what RTE would be like without the TV Licence, just turn over to TV3 (or ITV3 as it is better known).

RTE also manage to be first for new films released to terrestrial tv, they don't have as ads as ITV, sandwich the film either side of the news or dub/censor bad language after the watershed. It's also pretty good on sport, again would be my first choice when they overlap with ITV or BBC coverage of an event. While I agree about the crapness of some of their weekly output it has to be remembered that (inexplicably) some of these actually make money while also being some of the most watched programmes (again inexplicably) in this country. I also have a fond memory of watching culchies singing hello on the Late Late but it remains to be seen whether I'd retain this fondness if this slot was brought back on a regular basis.

RTE have advertisments, so they should'nt get anything from the Licence fee.
And why do we need a tv licence if you dont watch programs on it, i.e. I have 2 tv's one for channels, but another which is for DVD's/Videos/Video Games but I have to have 2 licences.
Whats that all about.

Why, do you need a tv licence for each tv which is in the same house?

No. A maximum of one license is required per household or business regardless of the number of TVs etc. contained therein.

So, Is it just for TVs now ?

Anyone remember when you had to have one for the car if you had a car radio ?

As TV seems to now be the main conduit to 'the plain people of Ireland' & as its mostly tosh shouldnt people with a TV get an extra tax allowance ( to cover the cost of the 'leccy power and also for putting up with the tosh ? )

eDog

( say no thanks to TV and bring back returnable glass bottles )

> So, Is it just for TVs now ?

No...

Every household, business or institution in Ireland with a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (i.e., an aerial, satellite dish, etc.,) must have a television licence.

Full details available in the wording of the relevant statutory instrument I presume.

The Lyrics Board is the most successful Irish TV product of all time. It's licenced all over the world.

I know, I'm baffled too!!

News, movies (uncensored, no 30 minute breaks for the news etc), and first with some of the best drama (24, The West Wing etc), make RTE pretty OK in my view.

Extra ! Extra !

Personally, I don't have a telly, and have never had a visit from the TV licence inspector. Is this a common experience ?

I hear that Irish evasion rates, at about 20%, are about five times as high as in the UK.

Does anyone know if this is right ?

Can't say I miss the goggle box though. Last time I had one, RTÉ was producing such home grown "classics" as "Leave it to Mrs. O'Brien" and "Extra ! Extra !", while turning down a script some fella had about three priests living on an island. The rest, as they say, is history . . .

Extra ! Extra !

> The Lyrics Board is the most successful Irish TV product of all time. It's licenced all over the world.

Yes. And actually, the Lyrics Board was an independent production by Like It-Love It (Andy Ruane's company) albeit originally commissioned by RTÉ.

Re: Extra ! Extra !

Every household, business or institution in Ireland with a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (i.e., an aerial, satellite dish, etc.,) must have a television licence.

Anything which contains iron can receive EM waves (TV signals). This means you need a licence for people.

Re: Extra ! Extra !

This means you need a licence for people.

Mickey Mack will be delighted to hear this.

Back