Tuscany

We stayed in Tuscany before in particular Siena for 6 nights which is FAR too long. Its a fabulous place to see but it is after all a walled city so after day one of adventure and sightseeing that was pretty much it. I would definitely recommend visiting but 2 nights absolute max. Mind you, we did some day trips from there. The Chianti region as mentioned above and to San Gimignano which is truly beautiful.
we went from there to Rome which was a really welcome hustle & bustle and again a fab city.

We did a fly and drive there a few years ago for a week. It was a package so included flights, car and one or two nights each in a few different spots spaced around Tuscany. Absolutely fantastic week. Have been dying to get back. I agree with Remey, alot of the towns are small walled towns with not alot going on if you're staying there for a few days but theres a plus side to that too! The food is superb everywhere, all the towns were spotless, the countryside is beautiful and the people are great.

Lovely place with so many beautiful towns to visit ... You really need a car though - you'll be quite limited what you can see if you're relying on public transport .. a lot of the smaller towns have fairly limited services.

Apart from the main places I'd really recommend visiting Volterra, Montalcino and Montepulciano

I dont agree about needing a car I fly into Pisa every year get a train to a lovely small village outside Luca and use train all week I have done all the larger and touristy places by train and rush back to the tranquility of the Tuscany countryside and to the friendlyness of the locals - you heard of the welcome of the Irish - nothing like the locals of Tuscany. I find that there is train stations in most of the little villages or have taken a bus to Sienna and drive through Chianti countryside (even though Sienna is a beautiful place glad to leave all the tourists and crowds for the countryside again that evening - and like wise with all the other places like Florance). The locals are shocked by the prices in the tourists spots and tell me dont buy anything there and they are right I can eat like a king most nights for about 15 euro in the smaller villages.

Back