Turning onto Amiens St at Customs House.

extopia

This drives me nuts:

You cross Butt Bridge, then swing around the back of the Customs House (Beresford Place, I think) heading for Amiens St.

To get to Amiens St you have to cross a lane or two, depending on which lane you were in crossing Butt Bridge.

The vast majority of drivers go in a straight line diagonally from the bridge to Amiens St., therefore cutting across the traffic emerging from Gardiner St, most of which is also moving diagonally towards the Matt Talbot bridge.

Nobody ever indicates when doing this lane change. If you try to do it properly and are in the "correct" lane you invariably get cut off by someone darting in ahead of you (plainly across a white line) at the traffic island. Or else you infuriate some muppet who thinks you are cutting HIM off as he attempts his "straight diagonal" manoeuvre. (Like the taxi driver who once told me to "learn how to drive" then went straight through the red light at the IFSC/Busaras, almost killing a young family.)

The city council, in its wisdom. seems to have decided against painting lane markings on the road.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? I'm amazed there aren't more accidents at this busy junction. Granted most users "know" how drivers tend to behave here and act accordingly.

extopia said:
Anyone got any thoughts on this? I'm amazed there aren't more accidents at this busy junction. Granted most users "know" how drivers tend to behave here and act accordingly.

I agree, the junction should be more clearly marked. I think the key thing about driving around Dublin is to be able to anticipate other driver behaviour.

BTW, there are a lot of yellow boxes around the city that could aslo do with a lick of paint.

extopia said:
......The vast majority of drivers go in a straight line diagonally from the bridge to Amiens St., therefore cutting across the traffic emerging from Gardiner St, most of which is also moving diagonally towards the Matt Talbot bridge......

Aye, but this is a traffic light controlled junction so its not much of an issue.

Amiens St is a great place for taxi drivers to do U turns. Also a lot of them seem to like to turn right off Amiens St down Sheriff St ( an activity that signage does not allowed )

A friend of mine showed me a photo of a junction in France one time and If i hadnt seen it i wouldnt have believed it. There was about fify or so cars on a junction where 5 roads meet! All pointing in different directions! No lights to be seen! We dont know how lucky we have it here!!

Back