Turnberry Baldoyle

D

Denise

Hi

Just recently bought a pricey 3 bed duplex in Turnburry development Baldoyle, and have discovered that the apartments underneath me are being released to affordable housing, which has given me 2nd thoughts.....

Views please???

What is the problem with affordable housing? (note there is a distinction between social housing and affordable housing).

Isn't it a bit late for second thoughts anyway?

What is the difference between affordable and social housing CCOVICH?

Is social where the owner has paid nothing towards the cost of the property and affordable is where the owner has paid a percentage of the cost price?

If so is there a standard percentage that has to be paid? And futhermore what criteria does an owner need to meet to be eligible for affordable housing?

Denise being totally honest I would have similar reservations as yourself. This may be classest, but if I was putting myself in debt to the tune of hundereds of thousands of Euro, I would have concerns about a) the type of people living beside me (for the most part down to luck) and b) the affect this could have on the resale price for my property.

I know that there are probably a lot of people living in affordable and social housing who are decent people but I think there is an increased chance of someone who pays €400k having more respect for the property and people around them, then someone who pays €80k/€100k.

If you've already paid the non-refundable deposit then as CCOVICH says there isn't much you can do but if you can get a refund on your deposit then you need to think carefully.

I await the hate mail!!!

Have you signed contracts for the house? If so and you pull out you will loose your deposit.

However if you have only placed a booking deposit with the selling agent then this is refundable.

Its my understanding that affordable housing is sold to qualifying persons while social housing is owned by the local authority and rented to their tenants.

My view would be that someone who is availing of the affordable housing scheme will be an owner occupier and therefore quite possibly be a more considerate neighbour than a tenant who has no ties to the place and may not give a hoot about the other residents (which can apply to both social housing and private tenants)

Hi all,
this is my first post on this forum. Ignorance and classism about affordable housing has motivated me to go through with the hassle of registering.
Affordable housing is open to ftbs with an income of 36,000 (single, 92,00 joint) in the previous tax year. Rather than rehashing information it is available at the following web address and I suggest those of you with preconceived prejudices about affordable housing have a read to enlighten yourselves:
[broken link removed]

I will make the point though that ftbs are a vunerable group on the property market and the income levels mentioned above do not necessarily mean that the person is of an inferior class. They are just unfortunate enough to have missed the property boat because of their age.
I have purchased through affordable housing and I don't consider myself to be a lesser person because of it. Although certain members of my extended family have stated that they wouldn't buy afforable housing because of its social stigma. Granted it has a bad image out there but with the introduction of section 5, where builders must leave a certain percentage of the development for afforable housing, you can get a decent home for a decent price in the current market (they're still not as cheap as a previous poster suggested for example I made a saving of 80,000 on the market price).

So I would say not to be put off by participants in the affordable housing as first and foremost, they are owner occupiers, which means that they care about their home and its upkeep. Second they are not necessarily socially inferior (the very idea of class leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth, snobbery is my pet hate, everyone thinks that they're better than everyone else anyway, it's being human).
It is understandable to feel a bit cheated if your neighbour pays less for their home than you do, but then again participants in the FTB are tied in to it for 20 years. If they do decide to sell before then, the local authority takes their percentage back, including their share of any profit made, so they can't sell and move on with the profits for their next home as easily as a buyer who is not on the scheme.
Also on the section 5 scheme, I don't care what anyone says but from what I've seen they give the worst apartments/houses in the developments to the affordable scheme. They will always be the ones with the worst aspect, I'm not complaining, it's just the way it is.

I don't want to be seen as jumping down anyone's throat about this, I just want to tell it like it is, how I see it anyway.

Augustday....I am TOTALLY with you......I had this argument recently with a colleague who was concerned about Affordable Housing being located close to his development...If you consider standard private developments, a reasonable proportion of these are purchased by investors who rent to people who don't have an interest in the property and will likely move in and out on short term leases...It is often the case that they have a very short term view of the property and don't care as much about its upkeep, appearance etc...

Affordable housing on the other hand is inhabited by those who have a financial interest in the house, its upkeep, maintenance and appearance...I'd rather be located beside a family who obtained their property via the affordable housing scheme than an investor purchased property with the uncertainty of changing occupation every few years or even months...

Hi

Im on the affordable list and wasn't aware there were any in Baldoyle. Im just a low income single person and cant afford to buy on my own, they would be perfect for me. Do you know if they are occupied yet or empty?

Back