Trying to prioritize the order of things moving to Ireland from the UK (over 65s)

penury

I'm new to the forums and so far have received some good information which in turn has sent me trotting along to search as well as find and view the enormous wealth of information on various Irish government and support agency web sites.

With a thick head and tired eyes over the past 2-days, It's come down to trying to prioritize the order of things moving to Ireland from the UK (as UK citizens retirees over 66 yrs old)

Would appreciate if someone could please look at the steps below to see if I have them lined up correctly - if not please change the order or add anything that I have missed or comments likewise. Thanks.

1. Arrive, get temporary accommodation, stay with daughter - or we could simply hotel, B&B, guest house it.
2. Open a bank account - transfer in as well as put money in the bank account, smile at the tellers and get to know the manager.
3. Find more permanent accommodation, either a rental or buy a place to live - move in within 30 days or sooner
4. Sign up with gas, water, electricity companies once (No 3) accommodation is sorted ready to go
5. Apply for a PPS number, that done - a week later, then
6. Apply for medical card
7. Change over UK drivers licences
8. Get the travel pass

Try and have some rental viewings arranged in advance for short term rental. The usual term is 1 year lease but perhaps 3 months would be more suitable with monthly extensions after that if required. This should be possible in the current climate.

Your daughter may be able to recommend a good letting agent.

Hi penury if you are moving in the next few weeks and are moving to a city or town with a university or it college i would suggest contacting one of the student accommodations offices
they rent out their places for very reasonable rates for the summer months and are very clean and modern with very little students
also a lot of private rentals come up for rent for these months as well . Best of luck .

We're you born in the uk, have a British passport and was your father born in the uk?

If so you will be and will probably remain Uk domiciled. This has significant tax implications for you moving to Ireland.

Please feel free to contact me to discuss.

Marc Westlake CFP, TEP, APFS
Chartered and Certified Financial Planner and Registered Trust and Estate Practitioner.

Not sure but it might be easier to open an account in Ireland if you already have an account with one of the banks that operate in the UK.

Opening a bank account if you're in a B&B might be difficult - banks look for a lot of identification now. You will most likely be asked to provide a utility bill with your name & address on it.

I notice from previous posts that your daughter lives in Roscommon. I know the County and surrounding area well if you have any questions about areas to settle, facllities etc.

With regards to opening a new bank account; you will need to prove your identity AND address to the bank - required by law. It is getting harder and harder to do this.

You will need your passport for proof of identity.

As for the proof of address, this varies from bank to bank.
Bank of Ireland will accept a signed lease in place of utility bills (recognising that you can't get utilities if you don't have a bank account!) whereas Ulsterbank won't.
This seems to change from branch to branch, so the key thing here is that if one branch turns you down, just go to another branch/bank.

A letter from your current bank might help.

Back