Trying to Copy File onto CD-RW

Hurling Fan

Hi All, trying to copy a file onto a CD-RW disc but when I try to look at the disc, it says that the disc is not formatted and ask do I want to format it. When I click on Yes it says that it cannot be formatted. Just wondering is it a problem with the laptop or the disc - have tried several discs but still no luck. Any suggestions?

What type of file(s) are you trying to copy and exactly what procedure are you following?

Is your laptop able to burn to CD-RW. some can only burn to CD+RW. Its a different cd type. Might be worth a shot

with some softwares when you try to write single files on the cd/cdrw it will hold that in a 'staging' area until you commit the changes to the media.
make sure its not that.

Hi All, trying to copy a file onto a CD-RW disc but when I try to look at the disc, it says that the disc is not formatted and ask do I want to format it. When I click on Yes it says that it cannot be formatted. Just wondering is it a problem with the laptop or the disc - have tried several discs but still no luck. Any suggestions?
There are two ways of using a CDRW:

DLA- Drive letter access (treats it like a hard disc....kind of)

Using disc burning software, e.g. 'Roxio' or 'Sonic'.

You don't say what kind of computer operating system you have, so it's difficult to be more precise.

But - normally, you don't format a CDRW in the say way as you format a USB key, floppy disc etc. I suspect you're going about it the wrong way.

In Windows XP, usually when you put in a CDRW, it asks you how you want to use it, does this happen?

Back