TRR and Illness benefit

MBush72

Hi everyone, first time posting! I'm currently out sick from work, exhausted my sick leave so they've put me on TRR temporary remunerative rehabilitation which amounts to €580 a fortnight however my illness benefit is being deducted from it so I'm only receiving around €100 a fortnight. Is this correct? I work for the HSE...

I take it this is some sort of income protection scheme? You should be able to claim illness benefit separately.

The Croke Park Agreement, saw public sector sick pay schemes, slashed in half.
It made a great headline, but when people have serious illnesses they end up in this situation. It seriously effects the lower paid public sector workers.

I am not sure , from your post, if your illness is classified as a critical illness. If it was not and your sick pay ended after 6 months, you can apply to have it extended under the Critical illness policy.
You could make this application and they may have discretion to extend your sick pay for another 6 months.

These are the guidelines, which do have some flexibility. I hope this is helpful and best wishes,

ii. The nature of this medical condition has at least one of the following characteristics

:(a) Acute life threatening physical illness

(b) Chronic progressive illness, with well-established potential to reduce life expectancy

(c) Major physical trauma ordinarily requiring corrective acute operative surgical treatment

(d) In-patient or day hospital care of ten consecutive days or greater

The Occupational Physician will consider the information provided by the treating doctor, and may confer with them with consent if they feel this would be helpful. It is not an absolute requirement that a definitive final diagnosis has been made. The Occupational Physician may accept a presumptive diagnosis on a case by case basis

Decision To Award.

The decision on whether to award extended paid sick leave is a management decision. Whilst management must primarily consider the Occupational Medical advice, management should consider all the circumstances of the case.
Thus, although an employee may not meet the medical criteria outlined above, management may still make a decision to award in exceptional circumstances.

In exercising this discretion management must demonstrate the reasons why they are awarding an extended period of paid sick leave although the individual does not meet therequirements set out at 2.1.4 (ii) above.

In this regard management should establish the following: That there are exceptional circumstances;.

That those exceptional circumstances relate to the illness, injury or condition of the person;

That those exceptional circumstances warrant the granting of the extended paid.

HR113, is the HR Form, for employees to apply for extension of sick leave pay, in the HSE.

Back