'trojan horse' in my computer - help !

S

Silvera

Do any of you guys know how to remove a 'trojan horse' virus from a computer ?

I was abroad for many months recently and somebody using my computer may have opened a suspect email which allowed this virus in.

I have the AVG anti-virus (free version) in my computer but it doesn't seem to have done it's job in this case ?!?

I have used the AVG program, and a couple of other from the net, but the 'trojan' is still there ?

(It flashed up on my screen that my computer was infected with a trojan, thats the only reason I know about it. I'm not very knowledgable about computers).

Help !

Would anything contained here help

This previous thread mentions something similar

trojan

Thanks suellen.

Has anybody had a similar trojan virus ?
(Mine is - C:\ WINDOWS\cwp00reap3.exe).

Hi Silvera,

That is the name of the program rather than the specific trojan. When the anti-virus warns you about the trojan does it mention any specific name rather than just trojan horse?

I am not an expert, but I think the following is accurate :

(1) Most current anti-virus programs will not protect you against trojans

(2) The display you see saying you have a trojan, may just be a 'pop-up' ad from a company trying to get you to buy their software (or even to actuall install a trojan)

(3) I am currently trying out anti-trojan software on a 30-day trial, but have since come across [broken link removed] from the very useful site www.techsupportalert.com/

It's free, but the memory-scanner stops after 14 days, and you need to scan manually from then on.

trojan

I have tried (with no success!)......

Adware,
Stinger,
Zonealarm,
Fluxscan,
ewido (thanks euroDilbert, it wouldn't work for me. Said it needed Windows 2000 or higher - I have Windows ME.)

It is definetly IN my computer, not just a pop-up ad.
When I start up, my AVG resident shield shows a red display which says 'Trojan Dropper', and gives the option to "Heal" - which I do - but it is still there when I start up next time ???

Re: trojan

TrojanHunter is the one I am trying. Works well for me.

The web page says it should work with ME - so maybe it might help.

trojans

Ok, I've tried the TrojanHunter program that you recommended.

I downloaded it, ran the full system scan, it showed up 2 x Trojans and then asked if I wanted them 'cleaned' -which I proceeded to do.

I then ran another full scan and most of the trojans are reappearing ??! ........Aghhh !!

This is getting really frustrating !!!

The trojans are -

Trojan Horse Backdoor.Agent.2.H
Trojan Horse Downloader.Nex.B
Trojan Horse Startpage.11.J
Trojan Horse Dropper. Krepper. F
Trojan Horse Startpage.7.BM
Trojan Horse Dropper. Agent.Y

Somebody Helllllllllpp please !!!!!!!!

trojans

I've just ran a fourth full system scan, and as the scan is proceeding, my AVG resident shield has shown up on the screen several times warning of the Trojan Horses listed above.............however the TrojanHunter program has just completed and states 'no trojans found' (it did exactly the same 3 times before that?!!) ??????????

Aghhhh !!!!!!!!

Hi Silvera,

Sorry to hear you are still having problems. If you run your full list thru Google the following comes up for just the first on the list

You could look at this [broken link removed] and see if it helps.

HTH.

Re: trojans

Have at look [broken link removed] for possible solutions or post a thread and someone around the world will have an answer !

Re: trojan

I have tried (with no success!)......

Adware,
Stinger,
Zonealarm,
Fluxscan,
ewido (thanks euroDilbert, it wouldn't work for me. Said it needed Windows 2000 or higher - I have Windows ME.)

It is definetly IN my computer, not just a pop-up ad.
When I start up, my AVG resident shield shows a red display which says 'Trojan Dropper', and gives the option to "Heal" - which I do - but it is still there when I start up next time ???

You really need to understand a bit about viruses, trojans, adware etc. and then understand what tools tackle which problem (e.g. you mention ZoneAlarm above but it is a firewall and not a virus scanner or the like) before plunging in and expecting to correct the problem(s). It might be worth reading some of the tutorials on Howstuffworks.com, for example How computer viruses work, How firewalls work etc.

(1) Most current anti-virus programs will not protect you against trojans

This is not true. A trojan is just (potentially) a particular class of virus. Most antivirus programs will protect you from trojan infections. Of course it also makes sense to run a firewall in order to protect against the operation (e.g. unauthorised connections into/out of your PC) of a trojan should one slip through. Of course, in its purest sense, a trojan is simple a program which claims to do one thing but actually does another.

trojans

I have been trying what people have recommended to me clubman.

dannymur,
what do you mean by restarting in 'safe mode' ?

do you mean with the 'system restore' function disabled ?

I have done this and run a full AVG scan, which tells me that I have 3 trojans. When I click on 'move to virus vault' as recommended, my computer tells me these files 'cannot be deleted/removed' ????????????

If you cannot delete or move the files it's probably because they are in use. You have to stop the processes first, and then delete or move them.

To stop the process, do ctrl-alt-delete to activate the task manager. See what processes are running, and stop the ones causing the problems.

(This mightn't work)

Google will explain the technical terms thrown up above but I'll probably be berated yet again for suggesting that people understand what they're doing before doing it... :rolleyes

berate

Google will explain the technical terms thrown up above but I'll probably be berated yet again for suggesting that people understand what they're doing before doing it... :rolleyes

I think people that berate when you go back to basics know how to do things automatically,eg google for solutions, and dont subscribe to the KISS principle and think theyre being treated condascendingly. Your solutions/answers/directions are excellent and do subscribe to the KISS principle as any good support persons solutions would and should do.

But... do you have to keep using the :rolleyes smiley. Now, thats really condascending. A smiley should be a :) or a :lol and thats it. hrumph.

firstly, disable System Restore:

Update the virus definitions.

Restart the computer in Safe mode.

note!!!! [If your computer has been infected with some worms and Trojans, the System Configuration Utility will not work. In this case, using the F8 key will be the only option.]

To use the F8 method:

Restart the computer.

As the computer restarts, press and hold down the F8 key until the Windows 98 startup menu appears.

Choose Safe mode from the startup menu, and then press Enter.

Windows starts in Safe mode.

Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Trojan horse.

Delete any values that were added to the registry.

Windows 95/98/Me only: Remove any references to the infected files, which the Trojan added to the Win.ini and System.ini files.

Clear the Temporary Internet Files folder, if required.

see also here for Win ME:

[broken link removed]

last resort!!

try this

Re: berate

Now, thats really condascending.

No - condescending would be drawing attention to other people's spelling mistakes. :p

Back