Trip to Newry - shopping

angela59

Hi all,

Am bringing my kids up to Newgrange Saturday and if it is not too far from Newry am thinking of doing stocking up in Sainsburys. Is it still as manic as what people said it was around Christmas or has it calmed down at all? Or should I risk life and limb for the bargains to be had?:D

Many thanks

Angela59:)

You should check out Boards.ie, they have a good thread on Northern shopping.

If not quite as hectic as Christmas, Newry in general and Sainsbury's in particular has continued to be very busy. Saturdays in particular.

I was passing through in March and the traffic was awful, Sainsburys was packed and there were thosands of people around (yeah, I counted them)

Your best bet if you want to avoid the crowd is to drive the extra miles to Lisburn.

Your best bet if you want to avoid the crowd is to drive the extra miles to Lisburn.

+1 We went to Lisburn Good Friday and it's worth the extra few miles travelling!! The Sainsburys is much bigger and much better stocked! Much less hectic than Newry...I'll never go back there again!! Also, in Lisburn there's a massive Marks & Spencers just across the road as well.

Hi all,

Thanks for that - will give lisburn ago. I think I'll do shopping first and then newgrange on way back.

Many thanks

Angela59

I'd also recommend Lisburn, far less manic and far better selection of stock - and the staff are sooooooooooooooooooooo helpful there.
tescos (especially my local in Maynooth) could learn a big lesson in customer service there

One of the reasons I'll be going back to Newry is that there is a Clarkes shop in the same shopping centre as Sainsbury's. I saw a pair of shoes there 33% cheaper than I had paid a few miles down the road in Carkes in Blanchardstown. Maddening.....

What is newry like now for crowds etc?
What time would you need to be there on a saturday to beat the traffic?

Sainsbury in newry is great. I go once a month up during the week from sth co dublin. Leave the house at 7:30am and get into quays car park at 9:15am.

Bear in mind that Lisburn is another 50 kms up the road - 100kms in total round trip. On top of a busy day's shopping that's an extra hours driving and don't think it's really worth it.

What is newry like now for crowds etc?
What time would you need to be there on a saturday to beat the traffic?

Now? It's the same. Until sterling strengthens dramatically or something else significant happens I can't see that changing. It's not like Christmas but it still can get busy particularly at weekends.

Thanks Folks;
What time would you need to be in newry on a Saturday to beat the crowds/traffic?

Would 9am be OK?

If you are just going up to newry to do shopping and not for anything else, it would be better to leave later because everyone is going first thing in the morning. Plan to arrive at newry for around 3pm that will give you plenty of time before they close, and to avoid the traffic coming home again.

3pm might be better for traffic and parking but if going to Sainsburys lots of stock will be gone. Best to go first thing in the morn when shelves have been restocked over-night.
Have been there with NO baby food left. (This alone covers cost of our trips up) Fruit, veg and fresh meat selection poor. Weekday mornings are the best...

Back