trek bikes

K

kopfan

My 14 year old son has told me he will be requiring this xmas a trek mountain bike (as per Lance Armstrong,thank you very much).apparently these are good quality and good price!wondering if there are any bargains out there on this brand?Any help would be appreciated.
first time post.ah.

Trek bikes are very good. My son is a mountain bike fanatic and he has one. He is constantly 'upgrading' parts on the bike. They do get a fair bit of abuse!! His advice is pay for the best quality possible on gears and brakes. Don't know about any bargains though. He is not here to ask at the moment, but I think he bought his seconhand.
You as a parent are about to enter a very dirty world. Be prepared for alot of muck and a fair bit of blood. Mountain biking needs alot of paraphernalia - the leg guards, the elbow guards, the body armour, the helmet (with mouth guard), the helmet light with v. expensive charger, the shoes, the clothes, high energy cereal bars, drink container........ it goes on and on. Oh, and don't forget the bike rack for the car, you will frequently find yourself out on the side of a cold wet mountain, in the dark, whilst these maniacs whizz down the side of the mountain, narrowly avoiding trees and rocks. The latest request is for a power washer to remove the six inches of muck off the bike and themselves. Here's a tip: on the way home from the mountain, stop off at the car wash so he can hose down the bike and protect your car seat with an old blanket. Carry a bumper size first-aid kit and learn some relaxation exercises and I'm sure everything will be fine :rolleyes:
P.S. Always make sure he has two spare tubes and a tube changing kit, and that he knows how to change the tube. this will happen on two out of every three treks.

I have a Trek mountain bike, they are very good but ask advise before buying from a good shop. Not all of these can have thier components upgraded, the lower end ones cant. If he intends using it on roads or light off road then upgrades are not essential but if it will get heavy/rough use then it might be worth paying a little more for the ones that can be upgraded. Prices start under €400 for a basic one and go into thousands for top end competition bikes. There is a place in Tallaght where I bought mine called Cycle Superstore and they do Trek bikes, have an online shop too.

Treks are brilliant bikes and will last years if you look after it. I have mine about 15 years...old school mountain bike with straight frame, it's a beaut!!

Thanks for the help,i can see i'm in for expensive and tiring time!then it will be a car!

Great bike shop out in Clondalikin, wheelworks, the guy who owns the place is a bike nutter who does very good deals so if u buy off him be sure to haggle

Back