Travelling to UK - No ID

Violet Rose

I booked flights to london with ryanair for next week, now i am after realising passport is out of date. I was told I could use my drivers licence as form of ID. However, it is booked in married name and licence is in maiden name. I rang the tax office about getting it changed and they cannot guarantee it being back by this friday and i cant get the time off to go and get it myself.
Is their any other identity form I can use = some form of photo ID from Garda Station to travel to UK?

All help greatly appreciated!!

Re: Travelling to UK - No ID !!!

No as far as I know passport or license are only valid ID

why not ring the airline and ask them if they will accept thedrivers licence with a copy of your marriage cert? If you don't have a copy you can get one from the registrar in Lombard St - involves a bit of queing up, but at least that way you have some form of proof of the name change?
might not be possible - depends on what ryanair say, but worth looking into?

You have to queue up and get the name changed - I dont think there is an extra charge if you can prove it with your marriage cert etc. but if it is somebody completely different, you have to pay up.

Bear in mind that if you're using web check-in, a driving licence is not acceptable as ID, a passport must be presented.

... If you don't have a copy you can get one from the registrar in Lombard St - involves a bit of queing up, but at least that way you have some form of proof of the name change?...
OP is in Cork.

i know you said you can't take time off work but the only way to get the id in time is to come to the passport office in dublin with your ticket and wait for them to do a new passport for you, you'll have to pay extra (€125 in total i think). can't see any other way out unless the motor tax relents, could you get someone to go in for you to the motor tax office? is there a queue for you service down there?

alternative suggestion - change name on the booking???

General registrar, yes and they are a nightmare to deal with - 7 weeks to get a copy of a birth-cert by post.

There are local offices listed here- http://www.groireland.ie/rc-registrars.htm

that is a pain - I used to work near Lombard Street until recently, and as a result called in on many occasions to get copies of birth/marriage certs for family members. I never had to wait more than about 30 mins - always able to do it on my lunch break!

Perhaps OP has a copy of said marriage cert anyway, and a trip to registrar will not be necessary? its at least worth a phone call to ryanair to see if they would accept this solution - i.e marriage cert as proof of name change?

other alternative is to pay the additional fee to ryanair to change the name on the booking to maiden name - by law you are entitled to use both. this may be the easiest option if no other way to change the name/get new passport/get marriage cert is availalble?

Acc to ryanair site:
"Passenger names can be changed online at a discounted rate up to 12 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure time or at an airport or reservation centre, up to 4 hours prior via a reservation centre (subject to reservation centre opening hours) at a higher rate.

There is a name change fee per person. No fare difference is charged when changing a passenger name only"

according to their website the name change fee if originally booked on-line and with a credit card is €5 - seems to be the cheapest and least hassle option??

OP - let us know how you get on??

I got a marriage cert from GRO Roscommon inside a week by post to England.

I also got copies of birth certs for family members from Lombard St.while I was over in Dublin recently.

i know you said you can't take time off work but the only way to get the id in time is to come to the passport office in dublin with your ticket and wait for them to do a new passport for you, you'll have to pay extra (€125 in total i think). can't see any other way out unless the motor tax relents, could you get someone to go in for you to the motor tax office? is there a queue for you service down there?

The passport office for the Munster/South area is located in Cork, 1a south mall.

Back