Best Buy Travel Insurance

Re: Best Value Travel Insurance

I have my home and travel insurance with 123 and find them very competitive.

I found 123.ie competitive for my home insurance needs but not the most competitive for annual multi-trip worlwide travel insurance for us (couple + infant).

Does anybody know what travel insurance the Sunday Times have in their 'Best Buys' section these day?

Remember that Quoteonline, ebookers and insure.ie (and possible others) will not insure any pre-existing medical conditions. This is a huge drawback so check out their policies before buying. Ace does cover them.

I received a quote recently from Accident & General for €68 for a multi-trip policy for a couple. However because my other half is on blood pressure tablets, we had to contact their medical dept, who then proceeded to quote an extra €200!!! Needless to say I did not take the insurance. Shop around and ask questions. Remember they don't want to pay out on anything that they can possibly avoid.

I find www.sportscoverdirect.com very good.

They are great for covering travel for sports, competitions, team sports etc, even down to legal liability for accompanying officals etc.

I use them if im heading away for the more hazardous adventure activities that might be excluded by others, good for covering lost or unrecoverable equipment, and getting you home if theres a problem.

i am travelling to Miami, then 14 night caribb cruise then 2 more nights in Miami then another 5 night cruise to the bahamas back to miami and home.

Am travelling with my partner (31) I am 27. but also bringing my parents aged 63 and 68. I can't believe the prices i'm being quoted!

Also I nned to know..my partner broke his tibia on the 21st of January this year and has been receiving treatment..ie cast etc, that is coming to an end now. Do i need to inform them of this as a pre-exisiting condition??
Thanks guys

I have AIB travel insurance.

My advice, don't get it! (I will be changing to VHI as soon as policy expires).

The problem is that you have to pay for at least 50% of the holiday with your visa card for the insurance to be effective.

A lot of travel agents, including the one I just booked, are charging a fee for credit card transactions. In my case last week it was 2%.

This equates to a €25 charge. So, on top of paying for my insurance, I now have to pay extra to use the card. Two trips a year at this rate would have paid for VHI insurance on the charges alone.

Check in case you are entitled to switch before the policy has expired and get a pro rata refund of the premium.

I used to use Getcover.com until i had to make a claim. We went to Paris with Ryanair, and our return flight was cancelled due to fog. Flight was supposed to be on the sunday. We had the option with Ryanair to take a refund for €38 between the two of us, or rebook flight.That was a sunday, they advised us to take the refund as the earliest we would get rebook was Wednesday if even then. Got a flight with Aerlingus for about €350 on the monday, and had to pay for extra night accom in Paris. Our cheap weekend to Paris didn't work out too cheap, getcover.com wouldn't pay us anything.

they advised us to take the refund
Who did?
getcover.com wouldn't pay us anything.
Perhaps the policy that you bought did not offer any cover for this sort of situation in which case it's hardly surprising that Getcover paid out nothing? Did you read the terms & conditions of the policy to ascertain this? Before or after you purchased the cover?

Topquote = Blueinsurance.ie (Axa Insurance UK)

They offer cover whilst holidaying/traveling in Ireland, something which the VHI did not cover for - I have my VHI health steps plan B through my work, but their travel insurance was not worth the €60+ for the year - awful inadequate cover.

Blue was €35.00 for the year - excellent value, and you can make your own modifications to have it tailored to suit your needs.

I have my VHI health steps plan B through my work, but their travel insurance was not worth the €60+ for the year - awful inadequate cover.
You mean you checked this out before buying I presume?

Blue was €35.00 for the year - excellent value, and you can make your own modifications to have it tailored to suit your needs.
Care to reiterate your vested interest here?

You mean you checked this out before buying I presume?
Care to reiterate your vested interest here?

Of course, it's Axa UK which is absolutely nothing to do with Axa Ireland.

It just so happened to be Axa UK, I trawled through various different options for travel insurance (as it is a minefield literally) i would reccomend it pure on the basis that one was able to be covered whislt traveling, surely it should mean (like the VHI policy) that I have to leave the country just to be considered a 'traveler'..

No interests, just facts there while offering a low premium.

Absolutely?

Without doubt.. (from a customers point of view) Yes (they couldn't care less) from a shares and funds perspective yes/no (rather not go into that as it is not an issue here)

I have found from my dealings of people who have had complaints in relation to travel insurance, when they establish who the underwriter is, it may turn them towards that particular company, than say another company, ie....

Who did?
Perhaps the policy that you bought did not offer any cover for this sort of situation in which case it's hardly surprising that Getcover paid out nothing? Did you read the terms & conditions of the policy to ascertain this? Before or after you purchased the cover?

Which is what i'm saying, it didn't cover this situation. I went for the standard one trip cover, getcover were the cheapest. Our flight was cancelled due to fog, but according to them it was a travel delay because we could have taken the next available flight, which wasn't possible as we did have jobs to go back to, and flight wasn't for at least 3 days. We would have gotten €35 euro for each day we stayed there! Wouldn't exactly cover food and accommodation!
Anyway, i used ace from then on, booked it through pigsback.com and got a discount. Checked their terms and it seems to be different. But then who knows until you actually have to make a claim. :)

They offer cover whilst holidaying/traveling in Ireland, something which the VHI did not cover for - I have my VHI health steps plan B through my work, but their travel insurance was not worth the €60+ for the year - awful inadequate cover.

But the link seems to lead to a site that is only for brokers/agencies. Correct?

I have AIB travel insurance.

The problem is that you have to pay for at least 50% of the holiday with your visa card for the insurance to be effective.

Is this a new condition? It certainly didn't apply when I took out an annual multi-trip policy through AIB last August.

Your post caught my eye as the policy is due for renewal shortly and I'm looking at the various options available. I've looked at the AIB site and can not see any reference to this condition.

Are you confusing AIB travel insurance with the insurance that is offered as an added benefit when using a credit card?

Has anyone used Aer Lingus Multi trip travel insurance 56 euro pa? I was thinking of using them

Is this a new condition? It certainly didn't apply when I took out an annual multi-trip policy through AIB last August.

Your post caught my eye as the policy is due for renewal shortly and I'm looking at the various options available. I've looked at the AIB site and can not see any reference to this condition.

Are you confusing AIB travel insurance with the insurance that is offered as an added benefit when using a credit card?

Askalot,
this is optional multitrip travel insurance offered to AIB Gold Visa Card holders (and maybe other cards as well - don't know). It is in addition to the standard offered with the card. Cost is €125, and I haven't compaired the benifits with other offers - but will now as I will not be renewing it.

I see from AIB's web site that they offer travel insurance not connected with credit cards, and that maybe what you have. I found the link to the insurance I have
[broken link removed]

Which states that at least 50% of the trip must be paid for by the card.

But hey, if I go skiing, I get €20 per day if I can't ski due to lack of snow:D

Back