Travel insurance for cancer patients

Vourneen

Just wondering if anyone has any info re getting travel insurance to the EU when one has stage iv cancer? My onc regards it as a chronic rather than terminal condition and has written a letter stating that I am well enough to travel but all the travel insurers I've contacted won't offer me insurance. If I was a UK resident I would be able to get travel insurance from there but as I'm resident in Ireland they won't cover me. Maybe I'm answering their questions with the wrong words. Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes but am worried if something goes wrong I won't be covered for repatriation or whatever else might be needed. I think if people are advised to travel with travel insurance a person with a chronic condition needs to have full cover

Vourneen, if you have private health insurance, check your overseas cover on that. I have just checked our Laya policy and they cover repatriation.
In the event of a medical emergency abroad, their loss adjuster deals with the hospital etc. My OH was in a private hospital abroad without holiday insurance and as it was a medical emergency Laya paid the bill.
You won't have cover for cancellation or theft but the latter may be covered under your household insurance.

I checked and I'm only covered for €100,000 for treatment of a medical emergency. No repatriation unfortunately.

I checked and I'm only covered for €100,000 for treatment of a medical emergency. No repatriation unfortunately.

In the event of it occuring how much would it cost to repatriate a patient from a EU hospitsl back to Irelamf

Last edited by a moderator:
In the event of it occuring how much would it cost to repatriate a patient from a EU hospitsl back to Irelamf

From this 2013 article:

Earlier this year, VHI Healthcare said the average repatriation costs for an air ambulance was €150,000 from Australia and New Zealand, between €59,000 and €65,000 from the US and €9,000 from France. If you don't have insurance, you'll have to foot the bill yourself.

Are you sure about repatrication expenses not being covered under your health policy with VHI? I
just did a comparison on the HIA website of the first policies named under each of the four health insurers. The only one not to cover repatrication was Glohealth.
On the HIA site, select the policy and then check overseas cover.
If your policy does not cover repatrication, I wonder could you move to a different VHI policy?

Snowy is very knowledgable about these matters.

I just changed from Parents and Kids options to PMI 42 15 on his advice but to be fair I never mentioned anything about needing cover for repatriation. I didn't know repatriation would be covered under general health insurance.

:oops: Apologies I made a mistake. My health insurance does have a €1,000,000 repatriation cover in it. What confused me was when I rang VHI last autumn about travel insurance they told me they wouldn't insure me and that I was only covered for up €100,000 for hospital treatment although looking at Parents & Kids repatriation would have been covered on that policy too. So really can't understand why I can't get travel insurance... Or do I need it at all so? Would I just be insuring against flight cancellation, lost luggage? I wouldn't worry about that, I was just terrified that something would go wrong with me healthwise and I needed to go to hospital or needed to be air ambulanced or worse home

Last edited:
Repatriation expenses are covered upto one million euro on Plan PMI 42 15 and were also covered on Parents and Kids Options plan.
I know nothing about the finer details or terms and conditions of this area of cover.

It is explained in detail, in your booklet Company Plans Terms and Conditions, it is called VHI Assist.
Its important to read the small print, to find out what it doesn't cover, as well as what is covered, and to ask VHI to clarify anything
you're not sure about.

Snowyb

Back