Trappatoni

jasconius

We would have been better off playing translator Manuela Spinelli against the Germans tonight! I feel sorry for those Irish fans who showed up.

BTW, are we paying her salary or is it the Italian or Dennis O'Brien?

Trap needs to go closely followed by Delaney. Actually I would call for Delaney's head first. He is a tool.

I saw Stephen Ireland on Celebrity Bainisteoir last week. He was assisting his girlfriend to coach one of the teams.

Now I dont know too much about Association Football, but perhaps Stephen knew something we didnt when he refused to tog out for Rep of Ireland?

The heavy defeat was a long time coming and there is more of the same ahead. It doesnt matter whether Mr Trappatoni is the manager or not. We are back in our rightful position with the Faroe Islands, Lichtensteins, San Marinos of this world. We might earn the title of Giant Killers again, but it will take some time and be intermittent at best.

Like we said in a related subject some time ago on this forum, it's all about money and no heart outside of token rounds of applause.

Like the Wales,NI, and Scotland teams, our football too has collapsed. This feature to me is because of the growth in numbers of foreign players in the Premier League due mainly to the wealth of money put up by Sky, and also because of the increase in ownership by oligarchs.
The England team too, at the moment, doesn't look bright either.

Like the Wales,NI, and Scotland teams, our football too has collapsed. This feature to me is because of the growth in numbers of foreign players in the Premier League due mainly to the wealth of money put up by Sky, and also because of the increase in ownership by oligarchs.
The England team too, at the moment, doesn't look bright either.

The Irish are foreign players in the English league too, so why do other countries continue to produce stars? The English team actually looks pretty strong to me.
Our expectations are very high, but most fans think that their team has a chance otherwise they would lose interest

I saw Stephen Ireland on Celebrity Bainisteoir last week. He was assisting his girlfriend to coach one of the teams.

Now I dont know too much about Association Football, but perhaps Stephen knew something we didnt when he refused to tog out for Rep of Ireland?

The heavy defeat was a long time coming and there is more of the same ahead. It doesnt matter whether Mr Trappatoni is the manager or not. We are back in our rightful position with the Faroe Islands, Lichtensteins, San Marinos of this world. We might earn the title of Giant Killers again, but it will take some time and be intermittent at best.

Like we said in a related subject some time ago on this forum, it's all about money and no heart outside of token rounds of applause.

That's losing perspective, there are plenty of players to call on that are of good quality, and we are team that should continue to fight for second place in groups. We got hammered 6-1, man united got hammered 6-1 at home last year and only lost the league on points. England got hammered 4-1 by Germany in the last world cup, england hammered Germany 5-1 in Germany a few years before that. We can only move on and improve from such a result as all of the others have.

I must admit to being nervous about Tuesday's game away to the Faroes given our current form , the injuries & the increasing lack of depth to the squad.

To somehow suggest however that our rightful place is among the Faroes , San Marinos & Litchensteins of the footballing world is pure tosh , we have a proud football tradition qualifying for three World Cups ( emerging from the group stages in every case ) & two European Championships.

We have produced players of outstanding ability who would have been comfortable on any stage - Giles , Brady , Keane x 2 , McGrath , Hurley , Carey, Coad , Beglin ,Given , Irwin etc.

For a country of 4 million I think that we have punched above our weight particularly in recent decades & with the recent good form shown by our under 17's , 19's & 21's I am relatively hopeful for the future , I believe that given the small size of the country that downturns are inevitable in our fortunes.

As for Mr. Ireland all I can do is quote the terrace favourite " Alive , Alive Oh Stephen Ireland's two grannies Alive , Alive Oh " - the man is an imbecile.

The Might of the Faroe Islands awaits us next week and we wait in hope. We think we have a chance of being second in the qualifying group. Forget about being second and also forget about being third. Mind you, I hope we do come in second, but remember the favours Germany are used to doing for Austria - where's your memories guys? We're the whipping boys of the group with little ability and no heart.

The Might of the Faroe Islands awaits us next week and we wait in hope. We think we have a chance of being second in the qualifying group. Forget about being second and also forget about being third. Mind you, I hope we do come in second, but remember the favours Germany are used to doing for Austria - where's your memories guys? We're the whipping boys of the group with little ability and no heart.

Which favour - the annexation of Austria in 1938 or the footballing non aggression pact in the World Cup of 1982 which disgracefully eliminated Algeria ? :)

There is no doubt that we are in a difficult group with Sweden perhaps favourites to finish second after Austria only drew with Khazakstan - puts our result there in some perspective perhaps ?

Yes we are poor at the moment but the whipping boys of this Group - no.

Sweden got a last minute win against the Faroes, I doubt if their fans are throwing in the towel after two games.

Sweden got a last minute win against the Faroes, I doubt if their fans are throwing in the towel after two games.

Their winner was in the 75th minute, but overall point taken.

We should beat the Faroes on Tuesday.

Our really big game will be next March away to Sweden. Lose that and we can forget about Brazil imho.

Our really big game will be next March away to Sweden.

+1
A bad loss there and the FAI will be looking at half full attendences for the remaining home matches.
On the plus side, If we beat Faroes and Germany beat Sweden tomorrow, we will have made the same start as the swedes (our main rivils for second spot).
However, I agree witht he previous comment that the beating on Friday was on the cards.
We have been completely outclassed when we have played anyone decent over the last couple of years and are not as good as we once thought we were.

That's losing perspective, there are plenty of players to call on that are of good quality, and we are team that should continue to fight for second place in groups. We got hammered 6-1, man united got hammered 6-1 at home last year and only lost the league on points. England got hammered 4-1 by Germany in the last world cup, england hammered Germany 5-1 in Germany a few years before that. We can only move on and improve from such a result as all of the others have.

+1 MrMan. Friday was bad but to look at the positives from the past 4 days, we now have 2 fullbacks who perform regularly in the Premiership (albeit one of them at right midfield), we have McCarthy looking like he could settle into a regular spot in center midfield, and Walters looks good up front. For the game against Sweden you could have the following team (although I doubt Gibson will come back for Trap):

Westwood,
Coleman, O'Shea, Dunne, Wilson
McGeady, McCarthy, Gibson, McClean
Walters, Long

That's not a bad team at all. Add in more Premiership defenders as cover in Alex Pearce, Stephen Kelly and Ciaran Clark, Premiership midfield cover in Whelan, Hoolihan and Pilkington and suddenly we have a squad that has almost everyone playing at the top level! So plenty to be optimistic about!

Last edited:
Game 3:- We beat Faroe Islands (bottom line). But, hats off to our opposition they played with some heart for parts of the game, something ours didnt do against the Germans.

The race for 2nd place in the group is now on. Unfortunately, Rep of Ireland is propping up the chase. I predicted that ROI would finish 4th in the group. If I influenced anybody by that, please accept my apologies; my prediction now is that ROI will finish 5th.

We'll see you back here at the end of the campaign so Leper! :D I think if we keep Trap we will finish third (behind Germany and Sweden) but if we managed to get Big Mick back in charge could have a real run at a top two finish. I think Trap has done a lot of good for the squad over the past few years but we now have a decent squad of players and need someone to instil a bit more belief in them than he seems to do and also to bring in quality players that Trap seems to ignore, and I've always been a big fan of Mick McCarthy and would love to see him back in charge.

My fear is if they do remove Trap they will look at Roy Keane to become manager.

I'm for him staying if he bloods a few more young lads in the next few friendly games, gives the likes of Ciaran Clarke a game...(John O'Shea is done and Darren O'Dea plays in Canada!!). He also has to move away from the kick and no rush style of play

The alternative is a manager in the UK out of work such as Coyle, Keane or Redknapp...Trap is better than the lot

You don't know if Trap still is better than the lot though and that seems to be the problem. I wouldn't agree that O'Shea is finished at all, he has been trying to play with a mish mash of inexperienced defenders. He hasn't played well in the last two games, but that's hardly cause fro ditching him.

The timing of their own-goal did us a huge favour last night, they had us under pressure at the time!

Back