Transiting through Philadelphia Airport

addob

Hello All,

We have booked flights from Dublin to Canada for Christmas with US Airways via Philadelphia and now I’m concerned about the connection.

The threads on this site seem to be a bit dated and I’m hoping that someone might have experience and can help.

First, do you clear immigration in Dublin on this flight?

I understand that PHL is a bit of a nightmare for Customs and can take 45minutes to an hour, is this the case?

Does anyone have any other tips/tricks/advice?

Thanks,
addob

I went to San Francisco through Philadelphia a few years ago. Immigration was done in Shannon but I don't know about Canadian Immigration. You'll have to collect your bags in Philly and recheck them for security reasons which really slows things down. The transfer was slow enough even though I was travelling US Airways all the way. Allow plenty of time.

you clear immigration and customs in Dublin so your bags come out as if you were an internal traveller in the US.

I didn't transit in Philly but found the signs weren't the greatest, got lost looking for international gates from the train station, though that might (actually was) down to my own stupidity.

Have a look for airport maps on the web should help avoid issues.

I flew through PHL earlier this year (US connection).
Immigration was in DUB, didn't have to collect my bags until the final destination.
Liked the airport, found it relatively easy to get around and plenty of options for food & shopping.

The US Airways Dublin - PHL flight clears customs and immigration in Dublin .. so no problem making a connection in PHL ... they'll check your bags all the way through ... once you get off the flight at PHL make sure you find the first flight information screens and check what the connecting gate is and stay airside (don't exit the secure area - as if you do you'll have to reclear security) and you should be able to walk to the connecting gate within 5-10 mins -perhaps less if it's a close by gate

How much connection time do you actually have? whatever about getting through security and customs, I've seen adverse winds add an hour to transatlantic flights. Also you can expect a lot of snow at Christmas time adding to delays. Once spent 3 hours at the gate in JFK because the snow came down so hard an Air India Jumbo got stuck in front of us. That was December 19th. I always put 4 hours between flights internationally to or from the US during Winter months.

Back