Transferring Vodafone shares - taxed where?

trap4

I'm selling my Vodafone shares to my brother and downloaded the Stock Transfer form from Computershare.ie. It wasn't clear though where the tax is payable. Can someone tell me please if I need to pay British Revenue or Irish Revenue?

Assuming you are in Ireland then you pay your tax (CGT) to Irish Revenue. If you received these Vodafone shares by way of your original eircom investment then chances are you have previously incurred losses that can be set against any gain to reduce your CGT bill. See this thread. Note that stamp duty on a transfer to a family member is charged at half the normal rate.

Thanks ClubMan. I don't know whether the support person at Computershare didn't pick up on my Irish accent or just assumed I was living in the UK but I was told it was the English Revenue I had to pay. Thus my confusion.

If you are living here then I don't think that this is correct. Perhaps it was a simple misunderstanding. By the way you can [broken link removed] via the Vodafone/Computershare website if that's of any use to you and your brother.

Thanks again ClubMan. One more question by the way - what is the "Account Designation" referred to on the form? They omit to tell one in the instructions and I can't find any reference to it.

account designation is the account number. this mainly applies to fund managers and pension funds which would have a number of different accounts holding the same shares for different clients and/or funds. For private shareholders they will look you up in their database using your name and address so you should not have a designation.

Back