Transferring money to the North

yenom

I’m moving 20% of my savings to a Sterling deposit account in Northern Ireland.
The cash is in a current account in AIB in the Republic.
What is the cheapest and best way for converting from Euro to Sterling in this instance and transferring it to my account in the North?

Say I want the transaction to just take place between the two banks.
Is it as simple as ringing up AIB and saying I want to transfer my cash to my sterling account and quote me know much I would end up with in Sterling.
And also asking Ulster Band how much Sterling I would get if I did the conversion with them.

That sort of transfer should be an option I guess. You may need the IBANs for both accounts to do a cross border transfer. Check out what charges and exchange rate might apply and shop around for a better deal if justified.

Say I want the transaction to just take place between the two banks.
Is it as simple as ringing up AIB and saying I want to transfer my cash to my sterling account and quote me know much I would end up with in Sterling.
And also asking Ulster Band how much Sterling I would get if I did the conversion with them.

I think they would fleece you on the rate. As per the thread Clubman linked I have used Transfermate, good rate, fairly speedy transfer. No connection to them.

I have used Transfermate twice in recent months, and found them to be very good + a better exchange rate than my own bank.

You can also open an account with HSBC in Belfast in Euros. It is a straightforward process; only passport and proof of address required.

The benefit of it being in Euros is that there is no exchange rate exposure right now.

Of course, they couldn't tell me what would happen to my money if the euro ceased to exist. The presumption is that it would become sterling, but this is not 100% clear.

If anybody else has any insights into this they would be welcome.

Re: HSBC: Their Euro account is of limited usefulness - there is a €5 per month charge, you cannot access it via Internet banking - only telephone banking, and they won't sort out your interest tax exemption for you - they will pay it to the UK tax folk and you have to claim it back from them, as well as pay DIRT here on it. Personally, I'd look at other options.

Re: Transfermate: what's the legal situation if Transfermate goes out of business while they hold your cash in transfer? This is what's put me off using them to date...

Re: Transfermate: what's the legal situation if Transfermate goes out of business while they hold your cash in transfer? This is what's put me off using them to date...

My thoughts too, perhaps someone could answer this....and why does Transfermate not have this question in their FAQ. Is it not an obvious question that Clients would be concerned about their funds in a transfermate account

Can I ask if I use the above company, to transfer money into UK pounds or Oz dollars, where is my account held in the event of a breakup of the euro

You mean between trade date and settlement date (T+2 ???)? If so, that is a short window to be worried about.

So, If I have an Ulster Bank account in the South already.

The steps are

1. I phone Ulster Bank or call in directly to open up a sterling account in the North. I bring in the usual documentation to do so - Passport, Bill etc.

2. Having opened the sterling account in the North. I then use Transfermate to transfer euro money from say,

My euro Ulsterbank account in the south
My euro AIB account in the south

to my sterling account in the north.

3. This will take two working days to transfer across the funds

Is this correct?

Trnasferring Money to the North

I too am very worried about the safety of my savings in euros. I have approx 20K in bank, all in euros. I am afraid if the euro falls it will be worth nothing. Can someone advise if its worth transferring this amount to sterling account as I am worried that for this amount the fx risk may be greater than the euro falling. Can someone advise?

I am moving 20% of my deposits to Sterling next Monday.
Unfortunately no one really knows if it’s the correct thing to do and essentially every choice you make is a risk.
My thinking is that moving a percentage of you money gives you a few more options.
If we revert to the Punt I would like access to some Sterling.
If Sterling loses value against the Euro, I’m taking the chance it will regain value over the long term.
My major decision is that I have access to Northern Ireland and I can make any major purchases in Sterling if it’s in my favour
If I hold other currencies like the US/Aus dollar I don’t have access to their markets.
I would also like to get another 20” out of cash but I really don’t know what to do as of yet.

The steps are

1. I phone Ulster Bank or call in directly to open up a sterling account in the North. I bring in the usual documentation to do so - Passport, Bill etc.

2. Having opened the sterling account in the North. I then use Transfermate to transfer euro money from say,

Is this correct?

Pretty much. You may have to call the bank in NI yourself as you may find UB in the south not very helpful.

The steps are

Is this correct?
That's about it alright - see http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=157301 for more details. If you have an UB account in the south already you won't need to provide documentation for proof of address, you simply need to sign and return the form they send out.

Back