Train Travel in Italy

Brenda2

Has anyone any experience/tips? We are taking train from Bergamo (via Milan?) to Florence. Have looked at times etc on the web, but have heard ticket buying etc. can be confusing. Would be delighted if anyone been there, done that can advise.

They say that Mussolini made the trains run on time & from my experience,it's extremely staisfying.Very difficult to book tickets over the net,but easy to buy in stations.

As above, its a great system. Best bet is to buy from ticket machines at stations as counter staff won't normally speak English.

I used the trains in Italy for the first time last week. Bought my ticket at the station (2nd class) and stamped it at the platform before boarding the train (its a little yellow box at the beginning of the platform).

Check their website on how to distinguish normal trains from the faster and more expensive ones.

Do make sure you validate your ticket for each journey by stamping it in the yellow box as mentioned above. There is a fine if you don't and they're not interested in excuses from tourists who say they didn't realise.

The yellow boxes are normally at the beginning of the platform.

Apart from stamping your ticket (automatic fine and the do have inspectors on most trains) make sure you are on the right train for the ticket you have purchased....again an automatic train. (we had a ticket for a very short journey, but we had bought for the "slow" train and end up on the "standard" (it was only a 5 min journey!!). Had to pay a €10 euro fine.....but the fines are way higher for the long journeys.
I'd also recommend buying from the machines as they have an english option and really straight forward. Have a great trip

Thanks everyone for the replies - will look for those machines and try to avoid fines!

Another thing - local trains and European trains are separate. Make sure you buy the ticket for the right train!

Like you might go up to one machine and it sells only local tickets, but another ticket machine will sell tickets for the newer, quicker trains.

You can pre-book tickets on trenitalia ([broken link removed]. I've always done that and took along the printed receipt.

we booked online through that trenitalia website. Make sure you are on the English page!! There were some special offers with two for the price of one tickets at the time "Duo per Uno" or something like that. It was great value and we had the comfort of knowing our seats were ours and ordering occupants out of them!!:eek: Found the trains very efficient and comfortable too.

Anyone have any more advice here. Am planning spending seven days in florence after four in Rome and wondering what the best transportation options are. Is there a 7 day ticket (for example) that one can buy?

W.

If you mean a 7 day ticket for urban transport in Florence ... I guess there probably is, but unless you're staying well out of the city centre you probably wouldn't need it ... Florence is a pretty small city so it's all walkable really ... not much call to use the local buses in my experience.

Whackin,

yes, you can buy passes for certain periods and also kilometric tickets (where you pay for a certain number of kilometers and cross them off the ticket as you go).

-m.

Thanks Maturin,
Do you know if they are easy to get i.e. can they be purchased in most train stations?

also, if you get confused by/cant be bothered with ticket machines or online ticket purchasing, I found most train/bus stations had quite helpful staff who spoke a little english, as long as you dont approach yapping a load of english straight away, say "Bonjourno, Perla anglaise?" (Hello, do you speak english). They'll print off the exact tickets you need, (handy for multitrips). The train type will be printed on the ticket, and usually logo'd all over the train too so its easy enough to know you're on the right one.
Enjoy your trip, Italy's bello :)

> Do you know if they are easy to get i.e. can they be purchased in most train
> stations?
It's a while since I used these types of tickets, but my memory is that I did buy them in stations.

> "Bonjourno, Perla anglaise?" (Hello, do you speak english).
I'm sure they'd understand but that should be "buon giorno, parla inglese?".

Buon viaggio.

Back