Train line in Skerries, frequency of freight trains?

thesteve

Hey there,

I'm currently looking at a house quite near the train line in Skerries. The sound is manageable but I was looking for information on freight trains, goods trains, etc... Does anyone know if there is a schedule anywhere so we can find out if these things run in the middle of the night? I'll knock the doors of the neighbours if our offer is accepted but thought this info would be online somewhere...

Thanks in advance

Re: Train line in Skerries, frequency of trains?

You won't find a schedule, it's a 24 hour operation which see's little traffic since the Brewerys in Dundalk reduced production.

If the 24 hour deep water port at Bremore goes ahead you can expect a very big increase in freight traffic along the rail line.

Live close enough to it myself and it's never been an issue.

Close enough as in 10 metres ;) Thanks for the quick reply, I'll knock the doors of the neighbours and find their opinion as well. It's scary buying a house and not knowing what may happen down the line...

Close enough as in 10 metres ;) Thanks for the quick reply, I'll knock the doors of the neighbours and find their opinion as well. It's scary buying a house and not knowing what may happen down the line...

More like 100 meters, so the effects would of course be minimal.

Knowing someone who's house faces onto the line at around 10 meters they've never had a problem, nor have they experienced their children waking in the night from passing trains.

I grew up in Skerries and the number of freight trains has decreased significantly over the years. I can't remember the last time I heard/saw one passing through Skerries so I don't envisage much of a problem. Which part of Skerries if you don't mind me asking?

I live next to the train line in Drogheda (same line that goes via Skerries) , and there is usually one freight train at night (Mon-Fri), at approx 12.30am. I've never heard anything later than that. There's also one or two during the day. I got used to them within 2 days - and missed all train sounds over Christmas when there were none!

The freight trains go to and from Tara Mines in Navan (yep, they've got to go Navan-Drogheda-Dublin!).

Thanks for all the replies lads. It's a duplex in with the flats near that new shopping centre on the train line...

Thanks for all the replies lads. It's a duplex in with the flats near that new shopping centre on the train line...
Oh don't let them hear you say flats.... they are appartments don't you know!

I'd be more concerned about the proximity to the sewage works than the train line.

mmm... I thought that was the shopping centre going there and did drive by and saw the 'water treatment scheme' government posters... This is more of it now, how can I tell if this place will stink the area out in the future?!?!

Before we moved further up the rail line - We lived within 5 metres of the Northern railway line. The noise was incredible when we moved in first, then we learnt to stop talking when the enterprise went past & in time it all became background noise. The DART, freight & diesel trains were going up and down so regularly it all became part of living where we were.

We now live much further up the line, beyond the DART limits and a little further away from the line itself - now about 25 metres. The first thing we noticed when we moved was the silence!!! There are regular freight trains, and no, the last one isn't just 12.30 in the evening as I know of other trains going past at 3, 4 & 5am, but like I say you get used to it.

The one and only time you will be seriously irritated by living so close to the railway lines is when you are faced with "night-works" which are normally remedial works that are unscheduled if there is an urgent need to fix something on the line. The noise is incredible I have to say, but in all my years of living close to the railway, I've only had about 4 disturbed nights from it.

HTH

It is possible with the planned establishment of a new port at Bremore (north of Balbriggan) that there may be an increase in the number/requirement for freight trains heading towards Dublin.
[broken link removed]

Thanks again guys for all the info, you're helping a lot in this decision...

Are you buying a 2nd hand home or is it a new development?

Have you see the scale and density of the Barnageeragh Cove development?

With regards to the wastewater treatment plant, it is already expanding even though it's only just been completed. You can read the environmental inpact statement below.

[broken link removed]

It's 2nd hand but pretty new. Thanks for that link, I was just about to create a separate thread asking about this wastewater treatment plant. I'm anxious to know what this could possibly do to the value of the property. It's not right beside it but close enough. Can we expect noise levels to increase, smells in the area, is this going to be a small building or a towering 'golf tee'?!

Just to add a few more parameters to your decision, do you know that 544 dwellings are being built in the site next to Kellys Bay (Barnageeragh Cove) with parking for 1000+ cars. The existing road will also become the main Balbriggan to Skerries road.

Ya I googled Barnageeragh Cove after your post above after your post above and spotted where it's going. When you say
The existing road will also become the main Balbriggan to Skerries road
do you mean the Kellys Bay Parade Road or the existing Balbriggan Rd (which I thought was the main route anyway)... In either case i can see the Kellys Bay Parade Road being used as as an access to this new estate increasing the traffic up this road...

I think my decision has been made already ;)

MAP: http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...455,-6.126981&spn=0.017759,0.034289&z=15&om=1

Just to add a few more parameters to your decision, do you know that 544 dwellings are being built in the site next to Kellys Bay (Barnageeragh Cove) with parking for 1000+ cars. The existing road will also become the main Balbriggan to Skerries road.

Hi there,
Is there a document or council plan that says that this road will become the new Balbriggan to Skerries Rd? It's bordered by housing estates on one side - many with young families and kids -& the train track on the other; so I can see that being a problem! if you have a link to new Plans, could you post it?

thanks

S

All I could find was this

[broken link removed]

Which states

"The proposed Road Improvement Scheme (Townparks Distributor Road) runs along the southern boundary of the lands. This is the new Skerries/Balbriggan Road and will provide access to the subject lands."

It makes sense. The current coast road is extremely dangerous and there has been quite a few accidents over the years there.

Back